MINELRES: News from the SOVA Center

[email protected] [email protected]
Fri Sep 26 20:30:22 2008

Original sender: SOVA Center <[email protected]>

News from the SOVA Center

17.09.2008

Nationalists to Organize International Conference in Moscow - http://xeno.sova-
center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/BB8DFF4

The Movement Against Illegal Immigration (DPNI) has agreed to collaborate with
the German National Democratic Party (NDP) and stated its intention to organize
an international conference of nationalistic organizations in Moscow this
winter. "We see the NDP as our most reliable ally in Germany. The vision of a
future international coalition is clear in my mind", said the leader of the
DPNI, Alexander Belov. The declaration was made one day after the
DPNI "Unifying" Congress on September 13 organized by one of the organization's
factions, to which the Belov group was not invited. One of the main reasons, in
fact, for the seemingly irreconcilable conflict in the organization is indeed
Belov's declared ideology of a European-style nationalism.

"Kiss and Make Up" at a New DPNI Congress - http://xeno.sova-
center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/BB8DE8F

On September 13, 2008, the "Unifying" Congress of the DPNI took place in
Russia's capital. It was prepared by the Moscow faction of the organization,
led by Alexander Mikhailov, with the stated purpose to heal the rifts in the
organization existent since May this year.

-----------------------------

15.09.2008

Galina Kozhevnikova. The Hate Speech in and out of the Election
Campaign: The Media Monitoring: September 2003 - March 2004
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB4208/BB11139

Edited by Alexander Verkhovsky

We released the English (shortened) version of Galina Kozhevnikovaa's
book, "The Hate Speech in and out of the Election Campaign: The Media
Monitoring: September 2003 - March 2004".

The study was carried out during the parliamentary and presidential
electoral campaigns, which are also the special features of the book.
The text is divided into three parts.

The so-called standard monitoring, i.e. the monitoring directed towards
the exposure and classification of the language of hostility, makes up
the first part. It was conducted in September-December 2003, concerns
the limited range of publications in Moscow and in five Russian regions,
and is based on methodology developed at previous stages.

The second part is a special study of the parliamentary campaign, and
starts as well in September 2003. We were firstly interested in the use
of the language of hostility by the participants in the electoral
campaign. The book further considered a much wider range of sources (74
publications). Additional classifiers were developed, which made
possible a more in-depth reflection of the specific character of the
language of hostility used in the electoral campaign, and to reveal its
party-ideological direction and affiliation.

The third part consists of a survey of mass media outside the formal
monitoring. This survey is naturally divided into the periods of the
parliamentary and presidential campaigns.

The complete text of the report can be accessed in .pdf format.

We plan to publish soon the English version of a similar study
concerning the 2007-2008 parliamentary and presidential campaigns.

-----------------------------

09.09.2008

Extremism is Suspected in the Cartoon "South Park" -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/BAD4C59

On September 8, 2008, the Basman Interregional Prosecutor's Office for
the city of Moscow issued a warning concerning extremist activities to
the television station "2x2". The warning was in regard to an episode of
the cartoon "South Park" which aired January 9, 2008.

-----------------------------

01.09.2008

August 2008. Monthly summary -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/BA3C54A

In August 2008, not less than 25 people, including 5 dead, became
victims of racially and neo-Nazi motivated violence (in August 2007, 6
people died and not less than 66 were injured). Apart from Moscow and
St. Petersburg, such attacks were registered in Perm, Tula, Uljyanovsk
and Chelyabinsk.

www.sova-center.ru

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/