MINELRES: News from the SOVA Center

[email protected] [email protected]
Tue Dec 30 19:37:53 2008

Original sender: SOVA Center <[email protected]>

News from the SOVA Center

30. 12. 2008

News from the SOVA Center

Chronicle of Guilty Verdicts for Hate Motivated Violence. 2008 -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/C407DE5

We publish the list of the guilty verdicts for violence issued in Russia
in 2008 in which the hate motive was officially recognized. The list was
made on the basis of the SOVA Center daily monitoring. In all, in 2008,
we registered 31 guilty verdicts in 18 regions of Russia. Each entry is
linked to Russian language SOVA reports.

December 2008. Preliminary Annual Result -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/C4055C6

In December 2008, in Russia, not less than 8 people (including 2
fatalities) became victims of racist and xenophobic violence. As before,
we believe this considerable decrease of the number of victims to be due
to underreporting (in the same period of time, in 2007, 11 people were
murdered and 39 were injured). In December, attacks were reported in
Moscow, Novosibirsk, Volgograd and Belgorod.

--------------------

24.12.2008

Report by Canadian Official and Human Rights Defender Deemed Extremist -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/C39DE65

On August 26, 2008, the Pervomaiskii District Court, in Krasnodar,
declared materials related to the Chinese spiritual discipline Falun
Gong to be 'extremist.'

-----------------------

15.12.2008

Savage Attack on Guest Workers from Tadjikistan near Moscow -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/C2E428F
On December 5, 2008, in Zhabkino village (Moscow region), two neo-Nazis
attacked two guest workers from Tadjikistan. One of them, 20 year-old
Azizov, was murdered and beheaded.

A Neo-Nazi Group Convicted in Moscow -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/C2E45E5
On December 15, 2008, Moscow city court convicted a group of neo-Nazis
(so called "Ryno gang") of a series of attacks on representatives of
ethnic minorities. In all, they were charged for 20 murders and 12
attempted murders.

www.sova-center.ru

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/