MINELRES: Eurolang Newsletter, December 2008

[email protected] [email protected]
Tue Dec 30 19:36:40 2008

Original sender: Eurolang <[email protected]>

Dear Sir/ Madam,
We include a brief summary of the latest articles published on Eurolang.

Hungary celebrates National Minorities Day

The Hungarian Prime Minister celebrated National Minorities Day on the
18th December.
http://www.eurolang.net/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=3128&Itemid=1&lang=en

Cornish activists mount campaign for FCNM inclusion

Cornish activists are preparing a legal challenge at the European Court
of Human Rights to the UK Government's decision to refuse the Cornish
people national minority status under the Council of Europe’s Framework
Convention for the Protection of National Minorities (FCNM). Inclusion
on the FCNM would provide some extra protection for the regeneration of
the Cornish language, and help to give the Cornish further recognition
and rights as one of the constituent nations of the UK.
http://www.eurolang.net/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=3126&Itemid=1&lang=en

Council of Europe publish ECRML Report on Spain

The Council of Europe Committee of Ministers has just published the
second report on the situation of the constitutional, regional and
minority languages in Spain.  The report has been drawn up by a
committee of independent experts which monitors the application of the
European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages (ECRML).  The report
is critical of the situation for Basque in Nafarroa (Navarre) and points
to a lack of awareness by Spanish speakers of their state's linguistic
diversity.
http://www.eurolang.net/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=3124&Itemid=1&lang=en

Campaign launched to keep Breton street names

The inhabitants of the Breton village of Plougerne are facing the threat
of having their Breton street names translated into French.  According
to the mayor this is because the Post Office does not understand the
names.
http://www.eurolang.net/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=3127&Itemid=1&lang=en

Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.  We thank
you for your interest in Eurolang.

Eurolang wishes all our readers and supporters all the best for
Christmas and the New Year.  Or as we say in Cornish, Nadelik lowen ha
bledhen nowyth da - pub bolonjedh da rag 2009.

Gorhemynadow a'n gwella / best regards,

Davyth Hicks

Dr. Davyth A. Hicks
Editor-in-Chief