MINELRES: CfP: Volume on Specific Nationalisms

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Sat Apr 10 16:06:03 2004

Original sender: Tomasz Kamusella <[email protected]>

Dear Friends and Coleagues,

I am writing so as to enclose the call for papers to a volume on
specific nationalisms that will be published in English in Poland next
year. I would appreciate it if you could  forward it to your friends and
colleagues worldwide.

Best,

Tomasz Kamusella

PLEASE, FEEL FREE, TO FORWARD THIS CALL TO YOUR COLLEAGUES AND
APPROPRIATE DISCUSSION LISTS

Call for Contributions
to the volume of
Essays on Specific Nationalisms

Sprawy Narodowo*ciowe (Nationalities Affairs) is a premiere European
biannual periodical devoted to the study of nationalism and ethnicity,
brought out by the Polish Academy of Sciences.

After the breakups of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia at the close of
the 20th century, nationalism became the only truly global ideology. In
the 21st century the basic political unit is the nation-state and its
social counterpart is the nation. Thus, the necessity arises to spur up
comparative research on specific nationalisms as embodied in various
nation-states (India, Romania, Nigeria, Bolivia, the USA etc) and
pursued by stateless nations/national movements (eg the Catalans, the
Kurds, the Zulus, the Tamils, the Mayans). Without in-depth analyses of
these nationalisms no sound explication of the world's social, political
and economic processes will be possible nor will statesmen be able to
take learned decisions.

Since 2000 Sprawy Narodowo*ciowe has strongly contributed to the
creation of the comparative basis for the study of these nationalisms
through publishing analytical essays devoted to them. Now we plan to
publish a separate, extensive volume of Essays on Specific Nationalisms
at the turn of 2004 and 2005.

Therefore, we open an urgent call for contributions.

We are looking for essays that focus on the rise and development of
specific nationalisms through the overview and analysis of the most
significant texts, symbols and events that have been employed for the
building of a specific nation and/or national movement. If possible and
practical, also local studies on nationalism in general, and the
reception of the world literature on nationalism as translated into the
local language(s), should be taken into account. We also welcome
analytical articles on the overall dynamics of nation- and
nation-state-building in the broadly defined regions of the world
(Western Europe, the Americas, Eastern Europe, sub-Saharan Africa,
Northern Africa and the Middle East, post-Soviet Central Asia, Oceania
and the like).

Articles ought to be submitted in English. The world limit is 10,000
except in special cases to be discussed with the Editors. Depending on
the nature of a study, references can be given in footnotes or in
parentheses with, in the latter case, the list of literature attached at
the end of the contribution. Titles of quoted books and articles should
be romanized if not in the Latin script, and appended, in brackets, with
English translations unless these titles are in English, German or
French.

With your contribution, please, include the following:
-	abstract (up to 200 words);
-	key words (up to 7);
-	information on the Author (3-6 lines);
-	institutional affiliation of the Author;
-	email or postal address to be included in the volume.

The deadline for submissions is October 30th, 2004.

Sprawy Narodowosciowe (Nationalities Affairs)
Unit for the Study of Nationalities, Polish Academy of Sciences
Stary Rynek 78/79, 61-771 Poznan, Poland, Tel/Fax (+48) (61) 8520950

Editors of the volume:

 Prof. Wojciech J Burszta ([email protected])
Editor-in-Chief, Sprawy Nardowosciowe (Nationalities Affairs)
&
Dr Tomasz Kamusella (PERMANENT: [email protected]; THRU AUGUST
2004:
[email protected])
Initiator and Coordinator of the Project 'Essays on Specific
Nationalisms'