MINELRES: Request for information from UN Special Rapporteur on racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Wed Aug 20 09:36:22 2003

Original sender: Sandra Aragon <[email protected]>

Dear Colleagues,

Please find attached a letter from the United Nations Special Rapporteur
on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and
related intolerance, Mr. Doudou Di�ne, in regard to Commission on Human
Rights resolutions 2003/4 and 2003/41.

I would be grateful if all communications on the subject, be forwarded
through the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Room PW
4-025, Palais des Nations, 1211 Geneva 10; Fax: +41 22 917 9006; or by
Email only to the following address: [email protected]  by Tuesday
30 September 2003.

With compliments,
OHCHR Secretariat
-------------------------------

REFERENCE:  GG

Dear Madam/Sir,

I have the honour to write to you in my capacity as Special Rapporteur
on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and
related intolerance, in reference to Commission on Human Rights
resolutions 2003/4 and 2003/41.

Commission on Human Rights resolution 2003/4, of 14 April 2003, requests
me "to examine the situation of Muslim and Arab peoples in various parts
of the world with special reference to physical assaults and attacks
against their places of worship, cultural centres, businesses and
properties in the aftermath of the events of 11 September 2001 and to
submit a progress report on his findings for consideration by the
Commission at its next session". My initial report was submitted to the
fifty-ninth session of the Commission on Human Rights (E/CN.4/2003/23).

Commission on Human Rights resolution 2003/41, of 23 April 2003, invites
me "to update and expand the study on the issue of political platforms
which promote or incite racial discrimination (A/CONF.189/PC.2/21 and
Corr.1 and 2) and to submit it to the Commission at its sixtieth
session". The initial study was undertaken by my predecessor, Mr.
Maurice Glele-Ahanhanzo.

Pursuant to the above-mentioned resolutions, I would be most grateful to
receive any pertinent information that your organization may have on
these respective subjects. Both resolutions are attached herewith for
ease of reference.

It would be most appreciated if information could be communicated, by
Tuesday 30 September 2003, through the Office of the High Commissioner
for Human Rights, Room PW 4-025, Palais des Nations, 1211 Geneva 10;
Fax: +41 22 917 9006; or by Email: [email protected].

Yours sincerely,

Doudou Diene