MINELRES: CfA: Nationalism studies in CEU Budapest - scholarships available

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Tue Oct 15 13:00:21 2002

Original sender: Szabolcs Pogonyi <[email protected]>

THE CENTRAL EUROPEAN UNIVERSITY
NATIONALISM STUDIES PROGRAM

Calls for applications for MA, PhD and DSP studies at the Central
European University in Budapest.

The deadline for application is January 6, 2003.

For information on the program and the offered grants and financial aid
please visit our homepage
(http://www.ceu.hu/nation/natdir.html).

With questions regarding the program or the admission process please
turn to Szabolcs Pogonyi, the program coordinator ([email protected])

Dear Prospective Student:

We encourage you to apply to our program if you wish to engage in an
empirical and theoretical study of nationalism, self-determination,
ethnic conflict, xenophobia, minority protection and the related theme
of globalisation. We offer a comprehensive introduction to the main
approaches to the study of nationalism involving the disciplines of
history, sociology, anthropology, legal studies, political science and
political theory.

As you know, very few universities in international higher education
provide this kind of specialization on both the MA and PhD level. Our
distinctive focus, intellectually exciting teaching profile and
interdisciplinary approach has been developed by the most eminent
experts in the field, including Rogers Brubaker, Will Kymlicka, Yael
Tamir, Tibor V�rady, Michael Stewart and Erica Benner. We are proud to
have them among our faculty. Our common focus is to explore how liberal
norms and models of dealing with ethnocultural diversity can be adapted
in Central and Eastern Europe and other parts of the world. Our approach
is widely comparative. This helps us to avoid the dangers of
parochialism, auto-celebratory tendencies and epistemological insiderism
and to provide an open, critical, non-sectarian and cosmopolitan
perspective on the study of nationalism. Please consult our webpage for
further details on our courses.

As a student in our program you will benefit from the resources of our
excellent faculty and high-quality student body and from the uniquely
lively atmosphere of Budapest at the heart of Central Europe.

M�ria M. Kov�cs, Program Director

The Nationalism Studies Program was established by Central European
University with the aim of promoting the study of nationalism in the
post-communist countries of Central and Eastern Europe. The program is a
successor to CEU's Center for the Study of Nationalism in Prague
directed by the late Professor Ernst Gellner. Situated at CEU's Budapest
teaching site, the program offers students an MA degree accredited by
the Board of Regents of the State of New York. The program also offers a
PhD degree in the framework of a joint History-Nationalism PhD track in
collaboration with CEU's History Department. In addition the program's
MA graduates may apply to the PhD program in Political Science based on
a special agreement between the two units. Graduate students enrolled in
PhD programs at universities outside CEU and who wish to utilize CEU's
innovative programs and resources to assist the development of their
dissertations can apply for the Doctoral Support Program.

The Nationalism Studies Program is intended to respond to the growing
demand for new knowledge and teaching in the field.  Drawing upon the
uniquely supranational milieu of the Central European University, it
encourages a critical and non-sectarian study of nationalism with
special emphasis on problems created by the new configuration of states,
nations and minorities in the region.

Students are encouraged to engage in an interdisciplinary study of
nationalism, a subject that is inherently and fundamentally
interdisciplinary. For this reason, the international teaching staff has
been assembled to represent a wide range of relevant disciplinary
expertise including history, social theory, economics, legal studies,
sociology, anthropology, international relations and political science.
The program offers a wide selection of courses that provide a complex
theoretical grounding in problems associated with nationhood and
nationalism combined with advanced training in the methodology of
applied social science. Another group of courses place problems of
nationalism in the context of economic and political transition as well
as constitution building in post-1989 East-Central Europe with a
comparative outlook on regime transitions outside the region.

The faculty of the Nationalism Studies Program this year includes M�ria
M. Kov�cs, Andr�s Kov�cs, Petr Lom, Micahel Miller, Will Kymlicka,
Rogers Brubaker, Yael Tamir, Michael Stewart, Erica Benner, Michael
Stanislawski, Marsha Rozenblit, Tibor V�rady, Victor Kar�dy, Panayote
Dimitras and Florian Bieber.

Szabolcs Pogonyi
Program Coordinator
CEU Nationalism Studies