MINELRES: Equalitynews - 01/07/2009

[email protected] [email protected]
Sat Jul 18 15:38:21 2009

Original sender: Equalitynews <[email protected]>

NEW PUBLICATIONS

Two new releases on the European Commission website deserve to be
highlighted:

1. The Media4Diversity Study �Taking the pulse of diversity in the
media�.
http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?
langId=en&catId=423&newsId=512&furtherNews=yes
Besides analysis and findings, this pan-European study also includes a
set of recommendations to further promote diversity in the European
media and to respond to the information needs of an increasing diverse
population.

2. The study �International perspectives on positive action measures�
http://ec.europa.eu/social/keyDocuments.jsp?
type=1&policyArea=83&subCategory=423&country=0&year=2009&advSearchKey=Internatio
nal+perspectives+on+positive+action+measures+to+address+discriminatory+practices
&mode=advancedSubmit&langId=en
examines the role that positive action measures can play in preventing
or remedying discrimination. Examples from both - the public and private
sector - are included in this study.

COMMUNICATION ON THE IMPLEMENTATION, RESULTS AND OVERALL ASSESSMENT OF
THE 2007 EUROPEAN YEAR OF EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL (EYEO)

The 2007 EYEO <
http://ec.europa.eu/employment_social/eyeq/index.cfm?cat_id=SPLASH > was
designed to raise awareness to everyone�s right to a life free from
discrimination, based on the extensive body of rights and obligations
set out in the EC Directives and on the need to develop EU and Member
State tools to promote equality.

The Communication from the Commission <
http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?
langId=en&catId=423&newsId=527&furtherNews=yes
> first examines the underlying challenges and the corresponding objectives
which the EYEO was intended to meet and continues by reporting on the obtained
results and achievements. Building upon the findings of an external independent
evaluation exercise, the Communication furthermore assesses the extent to which
the objectives were met and examines whether the results of the EYEO were
sustainable at national and at EU level.

Press release IP/09/971 of 19.06.2009 on this subject
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?
reference=IP/09/971&format=HTML&aged=0&language=en&guiLanguage=en

Subscribe to the new quarterly �For Diversity. Against Discrimination.�
newsletter!

The European Commission is running a European campaign 'For Diversity.
Against Discrimination' to raise awareness of discrimination and the
legislation, which exists to combat it as well as to highlight the
benefits of diversity within the workplace and to society at large.

In 2009, its quarterly newsletter explores in each issue a different
theme related to discrimination and diversity. First issues focused on
media and on European elections. It is available in English, French,
German and the language of the EU Presidency (in 2009 Czech and
Swedish).

Download it: http://www.stop-discrimination.info/8041.0.html

Subscribe here: http://www.stop-discrimination.info/94.0.html

HOW TO PROMOTE DIVERSITY IN SMEs: THE �TIPPING THE BALANCE� PROJECT IN
IRELAND

>From December 2007 to December 2008, the Irish Chambers of Commerce <
http://www.chambers.ie/index.php?id=1 > ran the �Tipping the Balance�
project . This awareness raising project specifically targeted small and
medium-sized enterprises (SME).

Instead of focusing on preventing discrimination, �Tipping the balance�
opted for an approach based on promoting diversity. The project set out
best practice and told stakeholders how they can implement a proactive
procedure to facilitate diversity in the workplace. Resource materials
on the �business case for diversity� and best practice guidelines for
managing diversity in SMEs were developed and widely disseminated.

�Tipping the balance� benefited from the support of the European
Community Programme for Employment and Social Solidarity (PROGRESS).
More details on project approach, activities and lessons learned can be
found at www.tippingthebalance.ie and in the project�s final activity
report <
http://ec.europa.eu/social/keyDocuments.jsp?
type=0&policyArea=83&subCategory=423&country=0&year=2009&advSearchKey=Chambers+o
f+Commerce+of+Ireland&mode=advancedSubmit&langId=en
> which is available on the EC website.

WE APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK

Please take a minute to complete our very short online questionnaire <
http://www.equalitynews.eu/nl_img/ADsurvey.html > on the format and
contents of Equalitynews. Thank
you!

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/