MINELRES: News from the SOVA Center

[email protected] [email protected]
Mon Nov 3 10:18:41 2008

Original sender: SOVA Center <[email protected]>

News from the SOVA Center

31.10.2008

October 2008. Monthly Summary -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/BF2ED2F

In October, 2008, not less than 19 people, 4 of them dead, became
victims or racially motivated attacks. Formally, it is much less than in
the same period in 2007 when we registered 103 victims, including 6
fatalities. But firstly, on October 20, 2007, a neo-nazi raid took place
in Moscow, resulting in not less than 30 victims, and secondly, it is
absolutely obvious that we don�t get reports about the crimes. Thus,
after St. Petersburg Governor Matvienko said on August 19, 2008, that
there were no hate crimes in the city, not a single crime of the sort
has been reported there.

--------------------------

28.10.2008

�Peacekeeping� by Russian Public Chamber and Austrian Ultra-rightwing -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/BEEFA4C

On October 20, 2008, a conference �Europe-Russia-Georgia: Peacekeeping�
took place in Vienna, Austria. The SOVA Center doesn�t monitor events in
South Ossetia, but this conference falls into our field of interests,
because it was organized by Russian Public Chamber and Free Academy of
the Austrian Freedom Party. The Public Chamber of Russian Federation is
a formally nongovernmental organization which is to represent civil
society to the President of Russia. Its functions and status are not
determined. One third of the Chamber members are appointed by the
President.

27.10.2008

Galina Kozhevnikova. Summer 2008: Anti-Extremism, Real and Fake -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB4208/BEC52BD

We publish English translation of our seasonal report on radical
nationalism and counteraction to it in summer 2008. As usual, the report
is based on the results of the SOVA Center daily monitoring.

www.sova-center.ru

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/