MINELRES: MRG e-bulletin (dec 2008)

[email protected] [email protected]
Sun Dec 28 12:50:22 2008

Original sender: Minority Rights Group International
<[email protected]>

Welcome to the Minority Rights Group International (MRG) email bulletin.
Simply click on the links below in order to access the full news story
or publication on MRG's website, or alternatively visit our site at
http://www.minorityrights.org

December 2008

Campaign Updates

TROUBLE IN PARADISE

We are now up to 365 signatures on our online petition! That�s good, but
not nearly enough to pressurize the Kenyan government into action.
Please don�t forget to sign
(http://www.minorityrights.org/6775/trouble-in-paradise/add-your-voice.html),
and forward the petition to all your friends and family.

Endorois leader Wilson Kipsang Kipkazi made his first trip to London to
mark World Responsible Tourism Day on 12 November, and met Kenyan tour
operators at the World Travel Market tourism fair at Excel to discuss
how his community can benefit from tourism. Read about his visit (and
his impressions of London�s foul weather) on the MRG blog
(http://minorityrights.wordpress.com/2008/12/02/the-trip-to-the-land-of-the-
queen/).

Flickr photos - Trouble in Paradise project manager Emma Eastwood
recently travelled to Kenya and met with the Endorois. Check out the
photos from her trip on our recently updated Flickr photostream.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minorityrights/

Trouble in Paradise and Social Networking - Trouble in Paradise has
profiles on Facebook, Care2, Amazee and Flickr. Make sure to look us up
and join the cause online! Amazee recently named us the cause of the
day. Check it out here http://www.amazee..com/news-endorois.

A SHOWE OF HANDS
for communities combating climate change

In November MRG launched a new briefing with testimonies from more than
a dozen community activists who are affected by climate change. Read how
pastoralists in east Africa are struggling facing food shortages because
of continuous droughts, how livelihoods of Finnish Sami reindeer herders
are becoming affected by thinning ice and Dalits in India are
discriminated in post-flood relief distribution. Read all the
testimonies and our recommendations to UN states -
http://www.minorityrights.org/7491/briefing-papers/voices-that-must-be-heard-
minorities-and-indigenous-people-combating-climate-change.html

We had a very successful media campaign on the launch of the briefing
paper. The paper was covered by more than 40 electronic media sites in
English and Spanish. You can find some of the coverage on the following
link -
http://www.minorityrights.org/613/mrg-in-the-news/mrg-in-the-news.html
and read our press releases in English, Spanish and Hungarian under
press releases on our website.
http://www.minorityrights.org/635/press-releases/press-releases.html

MRG�s campaign manager Farah Mihlar was in Poznan for the UN climate
change talks. See her interview with Parshuram Tamang of the
International Indigenous Peoples Forum on Climate Change.
http://www.minorityrights.org/7571/minorities-in-the-news/indigenous-people-
wants-say-in-un-climate-change-process.html

Don�t forget time is ticking on our Show of hands campaign. Our
signatures are slowly progressing but we need more support. If you have
not already added your name to our map of signatures then sign up now.
You can also support us by forwarding this link to as many people as you
know �
http://www.minorityrights.org/7117/a-show-of-hands/take-action-now.html

MRG's World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous Peoples

Message 18 of 25
Welcome to the Minority Rights Group International (MRG) email bulletin.
Simply click on the links below in order to access the full news story
or publication on MRG's website, or alternatively visit our site at
http://www.minorityrights.org

December 2008

Campaign Updates

We are now up to 365 signatures on our online petition! That�s good, but
not nearly enough to pressurize the Kenyan government into action.
Please don�t forget to sign, and forward the petition to all your
[...]

The World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous Peoples
(http://www.minorityrights.org/directory) covers 220 of the world's
countries and dependent territories, and features profiles of about 700
minorities/indigenous peoples.

Recent updates to this unique resource are: Dominica, Ecuador, Iran,
Bolivia, Mauritius, United Kingdom, USA, Sri Lanka, Honduras, India,
Ireland, Serbia, South Africa, Sudan and Abkhazia

News Features

Evicted Kenyan indigenous community demands share of tourism revenue on
World Responsible Tourism Day
An impoverished Kenyan indigenous community, evicted from their land to
make way for a world-famous nature reserve, is launching a special
appeal on World Responsible Tourism Day, to lay claim to a slice of
lucrative tourism revenue.
http://www.minorityrights.org/?lid=7488&bid=115

UN process in reaching a new climate change deal excludes those most
affected

A new climate change deal will be seriously compromised if countries
continue to shut out the voices of those most affected by global
warming, an international human rights group warns in a new report.
With just ten days to go before the start of crucial UN climate change
negotiations in Poznan, Poland, Minority Rights Group International says
the UN process is flawed as communities that have first-hand experience
of dealing with climate change are not allowed to participate.
http://www.minorityrights.org/7496/press-releases/un-process-in-reaching-a-new-
climate-change-deal-excludes-those-most-affected.html

MRG in the News - A selection of MRG�s news coverage over the past month

Comunidad indigena keniana expulsada reclama su parte de los beneficios
http://actualidad.terra.es/sociedad/articulo/comunidad-indigena-keniana-
expulsada-reclama-2879908.htm

What is World Responsible Tourism Day?
http://www.radionetherlands.nl/currentaffairs/globaldevelopment/110813-wrtd

Acht Lander zur Ratifizierung der Minderheitenkonvention aufgerufen
http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=1220460568209

Indigenous people must be included in climate change talks, say
campaigners
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/20/climatechange-poznan

Cambio climatico: Indigenas deben ser parte de la solucion
http://ipsnoticias.net/nota.asp?idnews=90569

What�s New?

New MRG Briefing paper - Voices that must be heard: minorities and
indigenous peoples combating climate change
>From the Batak people of Indonesia to the Karamojong in Africa, those
who are least responsible for climate change are amongst the worst
affected by it. They are often referred to in generic terms such as �the
world�s poor,� or �vulnerable groups� by international organizations,
the media and the United Nations (UN). But these descriptions disguise
the fact that specific communities � often indigenous and minority
peoples � are more vulnerable than others.
To download a copy of the report go to
http://www.minorityrights.org/7491/briefing-papers/voices-that-must-be-heard-
minorities-and-indigenous-people-combating-climate-change.html

Jobs and internships at MRG

Look out for the Head of Fundraising position, to appear on MRG�s
website in early January.

Request for a publications intern

To work up to 3 days a week for 3 months helping with publications
research and administration. Candidates should be polite, efficient,
adaptable to different tasks, able to undertake work and attend meetings
unsupervised, have strong research skills, basic knowledge of an area of
minority rights and preferably some provable writing/journalism skills
or background. Travel and lunch expenses will be provided. Please send
CVs to [email protected] marked �pubs intern�.

Request for a Communications Team Intern

Minority Rights Group is looking for a research/campaigns intern to
support our busy and dynamic Communications Team. Work involves using a
variety of research skills to produce background information for MRG
briefings and news stories and assisting MRG campaigns and media
launches.
Successful candidates should have a demonstrable interest in the media
and new media - knowledge of the opportunities for campaigning presented
by online tools such as social networking sites would be particularly
appreciated.. An Interest in international current affairs and
experience in research and following up leads are also essential. Fluent
spoken and written English and strong communication skills are a must.
Interns are expected to work 2-3 days per week (minimum 5 hours per day)
over a period of 3 months.
Interns are entitled to travel expenses up to a maximum of ?8.00 per day
and lunch expenses up to a maximum of ?4.00 per day.
Closing date: 31st December 2008
To apply, please send a CV marked for the attention of Emma to
[email protected] putting comms intern as the subject of the
e-mail.

Coming Up

New reports

MRG will be publishing three new reports over the coming months: �A
Double Bind: the Exclusion of Pastoralist Women in the East�, �Minority
Rights in the Education System of Turkey� and �Horn of Africa Right to
Learn: Batwa Education in the Great Lakes Region of Africa� � look out
on our website for these exciting new titles.

United Nations Forum on Minority Issues � Minorities and the Right to
Education

On 15 and 16 December the U.N. Independent Expert on Minority Issues, Ms
Gay McDougall, will be hosting the Inaugural Session of the UN Forum on
Minority Issues in Geneva.

The Forum will be focusing on minorities and the right to education.
According to the UN, �Education is a basic human right for all children.
And yet in all regions of the world minority children continue to suffer
disproportionately from unequal access to quality education. Failure to
ensure equal opportunities and equal access to education creates new
generations of those who are disadvantaged in all walks of life, who
cannot fulfil their potential in employment, and cannot contribute fully
to their own communities and to wider society.�

The Forum aims to meet annually to provide a platform for dialogue and
cooperation on issues pertaining to persons belonging to national or
ethnic, religious and linguistic minorities.
MRG partners and staff will be present at the Forum, look out for their
stories and photos on our website and in the next MRG e
bulletin.

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/