MINELRES: News from the SOVA Center

[email protected] [email protected]
Sat Oct 27 10:12:33 2007

Original sender: SOVA Center <[email protected]>

News from the SOVA Center

25.10.2007

Dear colleagues, we forward you the information about the largest
Russian language human rights website which is facing a major and
clearly deliberate DDoS attack.

Russian human rights website HRO.org faces DDOS attack

The website Human Rights in Russia at www.hro.org has become the victim
of a major DDoS attack. This Distributed Denial of Service assault is a
notorious means of closing access to a site by effectively inundating it
with a huge number of requests. The site�s system becomes overloaded,
and therefore doesn�t open when Internet users try to access it.

The attack was first noted around 21.30 on 21 October. The assault is
ferocious with around 200 requests a second.

As of 16.00 (in Ukraine) on 23 October, the attack has not abated, and
all attempts are being made to overcome the problem. The people at
www.hro.org extend their apologies to all their readers. It would be
difficult to attribute this to some chance hacker.

As we did when certain Belarus websites faced such an attack during the
elections for President, we will be following what happens, and will
endeavor to pass on their material should this continue.

Such attacks are an outrage and we must be united in fighting them.

--

Andrei Blinushov
HRO.org/Memorial-Ryazan/Russian Karta journal

-------------------
22.10.2007

A Series of Neo-nazi Attacks in Moscow -
http://xeno.sova-center.ru/6BA2468/6BB41EE/A047BFA

On October 20, 2007, in Moscow, a group of up to 30 teenagers,
presumably football fans, attacked several people, and as a result one
of the victims died. All of the assaulted people were of "non-Slavic"
appearance. The incidents took place after a football match between the
"Spartak" and "Moskva" clubs.

Nationalism"

An increasingly important factor in post-Soviet affairs, Russian
nationalism remains an understudied topic in such disciplines as
comparative politics, international relations or contemporary history as
well as a relatively minor theme in cultural and area studies. This
website and mailing group is designed as a forum of scholarly exchange
for students, researchers, journalists and others interested in the
history and current permutations of Russian right-wing thought and
politics including Slavophilism, pan-Slavism, Eurasianism, and further
varieties of pre- and post-revolutionary Russian ethnocentrism,
imperialism, anti-Semitism, etc.

While everybody interested in these subjects is invited to join the
list, this forum is exclusively reserved for the spread of substantive,
analytical information on Russian nationalism as well a for
announcements on relevant conferences, publications, and other academic
projects. This is not a discussion group.

Please, become of a member of the group by clicking the button "Join
this group" at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/russian_nationalism/ .

www.sova-center.ru

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/