MINELRES: CfA: UNITED Conference, Baku, 23-28 October

[email protected] [email protected]
Mon May 28 21:31:45 2007

Original sender: UNITED <[email protected]>

UNITED CONFERENCE 23-28 October 2007 in Baku, Azerbaijan - CALL FOR
NOMINATIONS

Contents of this E-news:
- Call for nomination
- Description and aims
- Program (draft)
- Technical Info
- Expression of interest e-form

Dear colleagues and friends,

please find below the information and nomination form for our next
UNITED Conference,
"Break our Limits through Intercultural Youth Action", 23-28 October
2007, Baku (AZ)

Conference prepared by:
* Anti-Nazi Initiative (GR)
* Civil Assistance Committee for Refugees and Migrants (RUS)
* Initiative for Development & Cooperation (BIH)
* Minority Rights Group International (GB)
* MTP Oradea/Youth Action for Peace (RO)
* UNITED for Intercultural Action
* Youth Board of Cyprus (CY)
* Youth League for Intercultural Cooperation (AZ)
* Youth Without Frontiers (AZ)

With the support of:
* European Youth Foundation of the Council of Europe
* Ministry of Youth and Sport (AZ)

All information and the e-form Expression of Interest can be found
below,
as well as soon on our site under 'upcoming conferences' and under
'new'.

If your organisation is interested to nominate a representative, please
return the registration form (below) as soon as possible (deadline 26
August 2007), preferably by email to [email protected]

- Please fill in the form below completely providing all data as
requested. If you invest more effort in the application it has more
chance to be successful!
- Each organisation can register only ONE representative (living in
Europe). Priority is given to participants under 30.
- Sending this form to UNITED does not guarantee that you will be
selected for the conference - we receive many nominations.
- Only those candidates selected for participation will be contacted via
e-mail � 5 September 2007.

Best wishes,
Geert Ates
Camelia Nistor
UNITED

**
UNITED CONFERENCE 23-28 October 2007 in Baku, Azerbaijan - CALL FOR
NOMINATIONS

DESCRIPTION AND AIMS:

What is the role of youth in intercultural action?
Does Europe promote intercultural action or is it a melting pot?
Where are our limits?
How to take action to overcome our limits?

Europe was never a ?homogeneous? place. Recently, there is a tendency
among people of Europe, who relocate (or at least try to relocate)
towards the west, as well as a flow from other societies or countries
outside the European continent. These changes influence the social
environment within which we interact and contribute to the
identification and creation of our limits. The new challenge is to
expand our limits and increase our level of awareness without
withdrawing; but with changing action, no matter how challenging it
might seem!

Liking it or not, acknowledging or not, we all have (our) limits in
everything we do. Our limits in how much we can eat or drink, in how
much we need to sleep, how much to work and in which field; we have also
our limits whom to tolerate and how much! Our limits are connected not
only with our personal identity which is built within the environment we
live and operate and how we relate to that environment; our limits are
also connected with our level of awareness. Increase of awareness, leads
to realizations, which may expand or shrink our limits. Thereafter, we
either choose to take action or to withdraw. What is going to be your
choice?

After all, does Europe provide space for enhance of the
interculturalism? Do people in Europe learn how to overcome their
limits, increase their level of awareness, and take action in empowering
the weak and promoting respect of the ?other?, respect of all human
beings and their dignity irrespective of personality, age, physical
characteristics, religion, gender, nationality, political believes, etc?
Where is the youth in all these? Where are you in all these? If you
think and feel that what happens is not enough, this is your opportunity
to ACT!

Panel discussions, working groups, debates, lectures, plenary sessions,
political cafes, intercultural activities and information market are
some of the methods we will use to debate these issues.

Through the working groups below, issues like the ones mentioned earlier
will be discussed. Your contribution will be valuableS. If you want to
overcome your limits, and act interculturally participate in one of the
following:

* United colours in action! Diversity and active participation
Overcome your limits, expand your horizons and take action againstP
stereotypes and discrimination!

* E-Race It! Institutional Racism
Identifying all grounds of institutional racism and find ways erasing
phenomena like Afrophobia and Romaphobia.

* Stand up for your rights! Refugees and IDP?s
Refugees and Internally Displaced People (IDP) are being discriminated
against as they are not aware of the legal aspects in the new country
where they look for shelter.

* Inclusion, Make it available!
Inclusion is the new manifested ?trend? when it comes to minority
rights. Are there enough open doors to include vulnerable people who are
facing discrimination, xenophobia and difficulties with integration?

* Over the edge! Patriotism, Nationalism, Fascism and Hate speech
Looking at concept of love for our own country and how it can harm
others when it is manifested in extreme ways.

* Now what? Intercultural action post conflict
Taking action in post conflict era to promote interculturalism and
respect of diversity.

UNITED is the largest pan-European anti-racist network of more than 560
organisations. Through its conferences anti-racist and human rights
activists from all parts of Europe meet and discuss effective ways of
combating racism and discrimination. At a recent UNITED conference held
in April 2007 in Madrid (Spain) more than 90 delegates representing
organisations from 32 European countries analysed the situation of
intolerance, migrants and the new challenges of Antisemitism and
Islamophobia and planned common strategies for promoting tolerance in
Europe.

PROGRAM (draft)

TUESDAY 23 OCTOBER
Arrival of participants - Until ca 14.00

14.30 - "Breaking the Blocks", Informal opening reception

16:00 � 17:30   WELCOME
What is UNITED?
Presentation of co-organizer: Youth League for Intercultural Cooperation
� Azerbaijan
Program/team/technicalities
Personal introductions of participants

17:30 � 18:30   Discussion groups "The Danger of Words"
Definitions and concepts most used in anti-racist/anti-discrimination
work

21:00 � 23:00
Movie evening

WEDNESDAY 24 OCTOBER
09:00-11:00     OFFICIAL RECEPTION
- Ministry of Youth and Sport
- Presidency of Azerbaijan
- Press Conference

11:00-13:00     CULTURAL CITY TOUR
* Guided visit of important cultural monuments in Baku

15:00-16:00     WELCOME IN AZERBAIJAN
* Short introduction of the situation in Azerbaijan � Youth League for
Intercultural Cooperation (AZ)
* Inter-religious dialogue in Azerbaijan (AZ)
- Lectures and questions

16:30-18.00
Thematic Working Groups � Introduction of key issues -
A � United colours in action! Diversity & Active Participation
B � E-Race It! Institutional Racism
C - Stand UP for your Rights! Refugees and IDPs'
D � Inclusion, Make it available!
E � Over the edge! Patriotism, Fascism & Hate Speech
F � Now What!? Intercultural action post conflict

18:00 � 18:30   INTERCULTURAL ACTION IN EUROPE
All Equal, All Different � European Youth Campaign

20.30           INFO MARKET
Present your Organisation - with participation of local NGOs

21.30 International Snacks

THURSDAY 25 OCTOBER
09:30-11:00
EXPLORING THE LIMITS � Antisemitism and Holocaust Denial
- Panel discussion

11.30-12.30
Continuation of the Thematic Working Groups -sharing practices-

15.00-16:00     HEAR VOICES - Project presentation
Human Trafficking � an example from South-Eastern Europe
Selective tolerance and Stereotypes � an example from Poland

16:30-18:00
Continuation of the Thematic Working Groups - sharing practices -

18:00-18:30     GET ACTIVE!
Short presentation of UNITED campaigns:
- 21 March - European-wide Action Week Against Racism
- 9 November - 'Kristallnacht' Commemoration
- 20 June - International Refugee Day / Fortress Europe - No More Deaths
(plenary session)

21:00
Political Cafe: Left-wing extremism

FRIDAY 26 OCTOBER
09:30-11:00
Continuation of the Thematic Working Groups - developing strategies -

11:30-12:30
Presentation of the results of the Thematic Working Groups
(plenary session)

15:00-17:30     Cultural Visits around BAKU
- Fire Temple
- Town of Guba
- Gobustar

17:30 � 19:30   Free time in Baku

19:30-21:30     Dinner out in Baku

22:30           Free evening / (optional) Movie / Political Cafe

SATURDAY 27 OCTOBER
09:30-10:30     ROMAPHOBIA
- Presentation and discussions

11:00-12:30     GET ACTIVE!
Campaign Working Groups
- Campaign against Fascism/Antisemitism
- Campaign in support of migrants, refugees & asylum seekers
- Campaign against racism
- Hitting the headlines! Media campaigning
- Work it out! Campaigning & Networking
- Where is the Youth? Campaigning with young people

15:00-16:00     GET ACTIVE!
Presentation of results of the Campaign Working Groups
(plenary session)

16:30-17:30     SEE THE IMAGE - project presentations
Democratic participation � an example from Eastern Europe
Monitor & collecting data on hate crimes  � an example of good practice

17:30-18:00     OPEN FORUM
with the contribution of participants

18:00-19:00
Evaluation of the conference & Official closing of the conference

20:30
Intercultural Evening & Farewell Party

SUNDAY 28 OCTOBER
Departure of participants

TECHNICAL INFO:

Working methods
.. plenary sessions, working groups, lectures, political cafes,
presentations, debates, intercultural 'games', information market,
cultural activities, open forum

Participants:
The conference is planned for � 75 participants (living in Europe) who
represent (inter) national anti-racist, anti-fascist, refugee, human
rights and minority rights Organisations. Active grass-roots groups from
all over Europe are also invited. Participation is rotated from one
conference to another. Priority will be given to nominations from young
delegates (under 30) with a minority background. Preference is given to
those organisations that actively take part in UNITED campaigns.
Participants should act as multipliers, spreading the information to as
many people as possible. We will try to reach an equal balance of
female/male participants and a good geographical distribution. Each
organisation can nominate only one delegate.

Language:
The conference language is English. All participants are expected to
have at least basic knowledge of English. But don't worry; English is
almost nobody's mother tongue. If you have difficulties in expressing
yourself, surely we can help each other.

Financial conditions: Participation fee  & contribution to travel costs

The participation fee of the conference is:
110 Euro for participants from Western Europe: A, B, CH, CY, D, DK, E,
F, FIN, GB, GR, I, IS, IRL, L, M, N, NL, P, S (group 1)
60 Euro for participants from Central Europe: BG, BH, CZ, EE, H, HR, LV,
LT, MK, MNE, PL, RO, RS, SI, SK, TR (group 2)
30 Euro for participants from Eastern and South-Eastern Europe: AL, ARM,
AZ, BY, GE, KZ, KY, MD, RUS, UA, UZB (group 3)

Full board & lodging and the complete program are included.

Organisations that paid their 2007 supporter fee to the UNITED Network
will receive a 50% reduction of the participation fee. (explanations
about how to become a supporter)

Contribution to international travel costs
Participants travelling from Western Europe (A, B, CH, CY, D, DK, E, F,
FIN, GB, GR, I, IS, IRL, L, M, N, NL, P, S):
UNITED can contribute maximum 75% to the costs of your flight, not more
than 450 Euro.
(Please aware that flights to Baku cost 550-700 Euro, your substantial
own contribution will be needed)

Participants travelling from Central Europe (BG, BH, CZ, EE, H, HR, LV,
LT, MK, MNE, PL, RO, RS, SI, SK, TR):
UNITED can contribute maximum 90% to the costs of your flight, not more
than 500 Euro.
(Please aware that flights to Baku might costs 500-750 Euro, your
substantial own contribution will be needed)

Participants travelling from AL, ARM, BY, KZ, KY, MD, RUS, UA, UZB :
UNITED can contribute maximum 90% to the costs of your flight, not more
than 450 Euro.
We strongly encourage you to travel by train, bus or other cheaper means
of transport to Baku.
(Please aware that flights to Baku might costs 300-550 Euro, your
substantial own contribution will be needed)

Participants travelling from AZ, GE:
UNITED can contribute 75% to your travel costs (train, bus) not more
than 100 Euro.

Please look for the cheapest and most environmentally friendly
possibility to travel.
You will be expected to attend the whole meeting and to prove your
travel expenses with an original invoice and the original tickets.

The cost of your visa can be reimbursed by UNITED on the base of an
original invoice from the Embassy.

UNITED conferences can only take place when participants make an effort
to contribute financially to their travel costs. We ask you to find out
if there are alternative possibilities of funding your participation.
Sometimes it is possible to find small local grants (e.g. a travel grant
from a foundation, a university, an embassy or another sponsor). We
would very much appreciate your help!

Date and place
The conference will take place at the Caspian Sea, near Baku and will
start on Tuesday afternoon, 23 October 2007, at 14:30. Most flights
arrive very early in the morning in Baku.
Departure is foreseen for Sunday, 28 October 2007.
During the conference you will share a room with other people. If you
wish to arrive earlier or stay longer (on your own costs), we can help
you arrange your stay.

Further information
Please, note that sending the expression of interest form does not
guarantee your participation in the conference.
Only those candidates selected for participation (this will be known in
September) will be contacted, they will receive further information e.g.
visa invitation, explanation 'how to get there', a final program, list
of participants, etc.
Feel free to contact us by email after 5th of September to get
information about your nomination.

Application procedure:
Organisations interested in nominating a delegate should send their
nomination by email before the deadline of Sunday 26 August 2007 - 24:00
to [email protected]

EXPRESSION OF INTEREST:
UNITED conference:  Break our Limits through Intercultural Youth Action
23-28 October 2007 in Baku, Azerbaijan

Name organisation:
Name organisation in English:
Abbreviation name organisation:
Organisation's address
street:
postal code:
city:
country:
Phone organisation:
Mobile phone organisation:
Fax organisation:
E-mail organisation:
Website organisation:

First name delegate:
Family name delegate:
Date of birth:
Male:               Female:
Private e-mail delegate:
E-mail address to send conference documents:
Personal phone/mobile where you can be reached in emergencies:
phone:
mobile phone:

Special needs (vegetarian, no pork, allergies, disabilities etc.):

Do you consider yourself to be part of a minority?
No:
Yes: (please, specify)

Motivation and aims for participating:

Please describe the work you are doing and the specific projects you
have been involved in:

Describe your skills (eg. leading a working group, reporting):

What languages can you work with:

Indicate the field(s) of your activity:
put a cross before the relevant field(s)
[   ] Anti-nationalism
[   ] Anti-racism
[   ] Anti-fascism
[   ] Migrant / minority rights
[   ] Refugee support
[   ] Human rights
[   ] Youth work
[   ] Other:

Which working group would you like to attend?
Indicate clearly two priorities, put '1' and '2' before the relevant
working groups

[   ] A � United colours in action! Diversity and active participation
[   ] B � E-Race It! Institutional Racism.
[   ] C � Stand up for your rights! Refugees and IDPs'
[   ] D � Inclusion, Make it available!
[   ] E � Over the edge! Patriotism, Fascism and Hate Speech
[   ] F � Now what? Intercultural action post � conflict

Please explain your choice and describe in which way you could
contribute to these 2 working groups:

Have you personally experienced racism and/or discrimination?
No:
Yes: (please, specify)

How will you share the experience of the conference after your return in
your organisation, community, country?

Would you need financial support from UNITED for your travel costs?
No:
Yes:
If yes, why and how much?

(Before answering this question please read ?contribution to travel
costs? under technical information)

For those who will need a visa:

Private address of the delegate
street:
postal code:
city:
country:

Place of birth:
Country of birth:
Citizenship:
Number of passport:
Passport valid until:

Azeri embassy where you will get your visa:
Fax, phone of Azeri embassy where you will get your visa:
(Only in case there is no embassy in your country of residence a visa
can be obtained at Baku airport)

Please send this form as soon as possible by e-mail to:
[email protected]. Deadline 26 August 2007

Only those candidates selected for participation will be contacted via
e-mail � September 5, 2007.
--

We depend on YOUR help in 2007!

UNITED is not rich and has no stable income!
Though far most of the work at the UNITED secretariat is done voluntary
- still money is needed to keep the network functioning in 2007 and to
secure the cooperation and information flow throughout Europe.

Your donation is most welcome:
- in cash to UNITED Postbus 413 NL-1000 AK Amsterdam
- by bank (preferable) to:
UNITED, Postbus 413 NL-1000 AK Amsterdam
Account: IBAN NL77PSTB0002343715, BIC: PSTB NL2A - Bank: Postbank,
Postbus 1800, NL-1000 BV Amsterdam
(From NL: postbank 2343715)

UNITED is the pan-European network against nationalism, racism, fascism
and in support of migrants and refugees, supported by over 560
organisations in 46 European countries.
How to join the network: see http://www.unitedagainstracism.org 'joining
the network'

UNITED E-NEWS is an irregular email service to over 8500 organisations
and contact persons active in the working  fields: anti-racism, refugee
support, anti-fascism, against antisemitism, migration, minority issues,
intercultural youth work, against nationalism etc.

Regular postal mailings, containing publications such as Addressbook
Against Racism, Calendar of Internationalism, Campaign reports, Posters
etc. are sent to over 2400 European organisations.  If you also would
like to receive this mailing: see http://www.unitedagainstracism.org
'joining the network'
----

UNITED for Intercultural Action
European network against nationalism, racism, fascism and in support of
migrants and refugees
Postbus 413   -  NL 1000 AK Amsterdam - phone +31-20-6834778  -  fax
+31-20-6834582 - [email protected]  -
http://www.unitedagainstracism.org

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/