MINELRES: UNITED: European-wide Action Week Against Racism 2007

[email protected] [email protected]
Mon Feb 19 09:01:50 2007

Original sender: UNITED <[email protected]>

E-News 14-02-07: European-wide Action Week Against Racism
ALL DIFFERENT- ALL EQUAL

17-25 March 2007 European-wide Action Week Against Racism

* Order your free posters, postcards and stickers now - to have them in
time for the Action Week ** order form below **

* Now uploaded: first European list of activities with already
activities in 30 countries  - inform us about your event !
** activity entry form below **  see http://www.unitedagainstracism.org
(under 'new' or 'campaigns')

JOIN! - the campaign
INFORM! - us about your activity (see questionnaire below)
ORDER! - posters for free  (see order form below)

** 21 MARCH **
The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination takes
place annually on 21 March. On that day, in 1960, police opened fire and
killed 69 people at a peaceful demonstration in Sharpeville (South
Africa) against the apartheid "pass laws". Proclaiming the Day in 1966,
the General Assembly of the United Nations called on the international
community to redouble its efforts to eliminate all forms of racial
discrimination.
During the annual European-wide Action Week Against Racism, which
centres around 21 March, thousands of people engage themselves for
tolerance, equal rights and celebrate the diversity of Europe.
The Action Week takes place at the local, national and international
level. Most of activities will focus on involving population at the
local level. This year once again hundreds of activities will take place
all around Europe, organised by a wide variety of organisations.
Activities range from intercultural youth festivals, cleaning off the
walls racist slogans, to multicultural football matches.

** ALL DIFFERENT  ALL EQUAL **

This years slogan �All Different-All Equal� for the European-wide Action
Week Against Racism is connected with the Europe-wide Campaign from the
Council of Europe for 'Diversity, Human Rights and Participation' (June
2006 to September 2007).
'All Different -All Equal' is more than just a slogan, it's a question:
What does equal mean? Does it mean we all have equal rights? What about
equal access, equal opportunities, equal chances? In fact, it is
depending on the social, cultural and economic background that the
individual has experienced.
On our beautiful world there are still people who suffer because they
look, feel, behave and believe differently than other people. Difference
and variety are enrichments for our lives and stimulate us to broaden
our mind. Still, generalisation, prejudices and stereo-typing within the
personal or even public area lead to scapegoating, hatred,
discrimination and racism.
We are confronted with a gap between legislation and reality. This
campaign aims at showing that even though we are all different we need
to fight for equal rights. Hopefully we can be part of a vivid movement
contributing to peaceful inter-community relations by showing a lot of
strength through constructive dialogues among cultures and religions. We
have to take care that the worth of diversity doesn�t get lost in racism
leading to exclusion, discrimination, prejudices and verbal or physical
violence.

** LET US CAMPAIGN TOGETHER **
UNITED links various activities and highlights the issues of racism on
an European level. It publicises and supports initiatives of local
groups. UNITED for Intercultural Action is the European network against
nationalism, racism, fascism and in support of migrants and refugees.
Linked through UNITED, more than 560 organisations and youth
organisations work together on a voluntary basis.
For more campaign information: http://www.unitedagainstracism.org (under
'new' or 'campaigns').

** EUROPEAN LIST OF ACTIVITIES**
To make sure your activity is included in the European List of
Activities, documenting all the different activities during the campaign
and the strength of the antiracism movement, send any available
information to UNITED, either by
fax (+31-20-6834582),
e-mail ([email protected])
or just call in the office (+31-20-6834778).
The List is regularly updated on http://www.unitedagainstracism.org

REACTION/ORDER FORM

RETURN! -  this form to: [email protected]

OUR ACTIVITY DURING THE ACTION-WEEK

YES, our organisation wants to join the European-wide Action Week
Against Racism - 2007!

OUR ACTIVITY IS:

title:
type of activity:
date:
place:
theme(s):
organiser:
contact address:
phone:
mobile phone:
fax:
email:
website:

Are you aware of other activities organised in your country?
Please be as concrete as possible: date, type, themes, location, contact
address...

ORDER FORM FOR FREE CAMPAIGN MATERIAL FOR THE ACTION-WEEK

UNITED can send up to 2 kilos campaign of material free of charge,
please calculate how many copies you want. For more than 2 kilos we ask
for contribution towards the mailing costs but if you need more free
material for special purposes don't hesitate to contact us.

POSTERS (see images on http://www.unitedagainstracism.org under
campaign)

Quantity  (12 gram /copy)
....... (max. 100) 1/ 'All Different- All Equal' - NEW for this years
campaign! Backside: information on 21 March campaign 2007 in English

....... (max. 100) 2/ 'Color is an Optical Illusion' - NEW for this
years campaign! Backside: information on 21 March campaign 2007 in
English

....... (max. 100) 3/ RUSSIAN EDITION 'Look Deeper'- NEW for this years
campaign! Backside: information on the campaign in Russian

....... (max. 50)   4/ Double sided: 'Look Deeper-Fundamentally We' re
All the Same' Other side: 'UNITED to Combat Racism'

POSTCARDS & STICKERS (see images http://www.unitedagainstracism.org
under 'campaigns / action week')

[   ]  Yes we want to receive campaign postcards *

[   ]  Yes we want to receive campaign stickers *
(* please tick)

CAMPAIGN REPORT 2006

Quantity 26 gram/copy)

....... (max. 10)     Campaign report on the European-wide Action Week
2006

Material to be sent to:

name organisation:
contact person:
address organisation:
postal Code:
place:
country:
phone:
mobile phone:
fax:
email:
website:
--

--

We depend on YOUR help in 2007!

UNITED is not rich and has no stable income!
Though far most of the work at the UNITED secretariat is done voluntary
- still money is needed to keep the network functioning in 2007 and to
secure the cooperation and information flow throughout Europe.

Your donation is most welcome:
- in cash to UNITED Postbus 413 NL-1000 AK Amsterdam
- by bank (preferable) to:
UNITED, Postbus 413 NL-1000 AK Amsterdam
Account: IBAN NL77PSTB0002343715, BIC: PSTB NL2A - Bank: Postbank,
Postbus 1800, NL-1000 BV Amsterdam
(From NL: postbank 2343715)

UNITED is the pan-European network against nationalism, racism, fascism
and in support of migrants and refugees, supported by over 560
organisations in 46 European countries.
How to join the network: see http://www.unitedagainstracism.org 'joining
the network'

UNITED E-NEWS is an irregular email service to over 8500 organisations
and contact persons active in the working  fields: anti-racism, refugee
support, anti-fascism, against antisemitism, migration, minority issues,
intercultural youth work, against nationalism etc.

Regular postal mailings, containing publications such as Addressbook
Against Racism, Calendar of Internationalism, Campaign reports, Posters
etc. are sent to over 2400 European organisations.  If you also would
like to receive this mailing: see http://www.unitedagainstracism.org
'joining the network'

----

UNITED for Intercultural Action
European network against nationalism, racism, fascism and in support of
migrants and refugees
Postbus 413   -  NL 1000 AK Amsterdam - phone +31-20-6834778  -  fax
+31-20-6834582 - [email protected]  -
http://www.unitedagainstracism.org

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/