MINELRES: Georgia: Minorities protest against MP's fascist statement

[email protected] [email protected]
Fri Apr 20 18:57:03 2007

Original sender: Multinational Georgia <[email protected]>

On 14 March 2007 in the office of the Union �Public Movement
Multinational Georgia� was held press-conference aimed at reaction on
the statement of the Member of Parliament of Georgia Beso Jugeli, which
beard fascist character towards citizens of Georgia representing ethnic
minorities and residing in the center of the Capital.

The press-conference was also attended by George Khutsishvili �
International Center on Conflicts and Negotiations, Lasha Chkhartishvili
� Equality Institute, Mary Mikoyan � Unity of Georgian Armenians �Nor
Serund�.

A statement was divulged in which representatives of abovementioned
organizations expressed their protest in regards to such kind of dictums
and called upon governing party, representatives of public at large,
NGOs, the whole spectrum of political parties and international
organizations to assess given manifestation of fascism expressed by
abovementioned person (see statement attached).

Press-service of the Union �Public Movement Multinational Georgia�

-----------------------------

S T A T E M E N T

We, citizens of Georgia, representatives of the Union "Public Movement
Multinational Georgia", express our protest in regards to statement of
the Member of Parliament of Georgia Beso Jugeli concerning new
legislative initiative on taxation of floor-space in the center of the
Capital.

Citation
"There is no need for Mikirtich* always to live in Sololaki** ("Live
Show", TV channel "Imedi"); "Given law is not turned against Georgians,
in this historical districts mainly live Armenians, Azerbaijanis, Kurds
and other nationalities" ("Dialogues", Radio "Unknown")

* Armenian name
** District situated in the Center of Tbilisi

Reprinted from the newspaper "24 Hours", 12 April 2007

Given statement is nothing else but manifestation of fascism that is
absolutely unacceptable and inadmissible for any civilized society.

We address leaders of the governing party with a request to comment
statement made by B.Jugeli and undertake corresponding measures in
regards to this fact.

Proceeding from all abovementioned we let B.Jugeli on the very first
working day - Monday - possibility of apologizing to the whole
population of Georgia, and particularly those living in Tbilisi, whose
historical traditions of friendship, brotherhood, tolerance and
diversity he does not share unfortunately.

We call upon representatives of public at large, NGOs, the whole
spectrum of political parties and international organizations to assess
given manifestation of fascism expressed by abovementioned person.

Press-service of the Union
"Public Movement Multinational Georgia"

Address: 1 fl., 17 Tabukashvili str.
Tel: 99 87 90