MINELRES: Caucasus Reporting Service No. 353: Karabakh: The Last of the Azeris

[email protected] [email protected]
Thu Aug 17 09:56:39 2006

Original sender: Institute for War & Peace Reporting <[email protected]>

WELCOME TO IWPR'S CAUCASUS REPORTING SERVICE, No. 353, August 16, 2006

CAUCASUS NEWS UPDATE AUGUST 16

CHECHNYA: THE HIDDEN WAR Inhabitants of mountain villages are unable to
go home because of continuing violence between federal forces and
rebels. By Asya Umarova in Yarysh-Mardy

KARABAKH:  THE LAST OF THE AZERIS The few remaining Azerbaijanis of
Karabakh tell their stories. By Karine Ohanian in Stepanakert.

ARMENIANS FLOCK TO GEORGIAN COAST Georgia's Black Sea tourist industry
revived by Armenian holidaymakers. By Eteri Turadze in Batumi

****************** VISIT IWPR ON-LINE: www.iwpr.net ***************

PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS & PHONE NUMBERS:
48 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7831 1030  Fax: +44 (0)20 7831 1050

RSS: http://www.iwpr.net/en/crs/rss.xml

FREE SUBSCRIPTION. Readers are urged to subscribe to IWPR's full range
of electronic publications at:
http://www.iwpr.net/index.php?apc_state=henh&s=s&m=p

****************** VISIT IWPR ON-LINE: www.iwpr.net ***************

KARABAKH:  THE LAST OF THE AZERIS

The few remaining Azerbaijanis of Karabakh tell their stories.

By Karine Ohanian in Stepanakert.

They mostly go unnoticed and bear Armenian names, but Nagorny Karabakh,
on the surface a completely Armenian territory, has a quiet population
of Azerbaijanis.

Many of them have been separated by war from children or close relatives
living on the other side of the conflict divide.

It comes as a surprise to many outsiders to learn that there are
Azerbaijanis still here at all. There are of course far fewer of them
than before the war, when around one quarter of the population of
Nagorny Karabakh was Azerbaijani. Almost all of them fled in the great
refugee upheavals of the conflict. But there are more than a handful
left: they are mainly people who married Armenians and their children.

According to the national statistics bureau of Nagorny-Karabakh,
Azerbaijanis are classed as one of the ethnic minorities of Karabakh.
Official figures will be published next month. But it is hard to
calculate the real numbers because most of them have changed their
surnames or use married Armenian names.

Sixty-year-old Nailya Jafarova, not her real name, has lived in
Stepanakert since 1968. "I can't remember a case when an Armenian has
ever said, 'Get out of Karabakh!'" she told IWPR.

She said the only time she had suffered abuse was at the height of the
1991-4 war when she was queuing for milk and another woman told her she
had no right to be there - but she was defended by others in the queue.
"There was no need for me to answer because others answered for me -
Armenians who saw me as a human being, not just a representative of one
nationality," she said.

Nailya was heading for an academic career in the Azerbaijan Academy of
Sciences, when she fell in love and followed her Armenian husband to
Karabakh. She said her parents were not so much unhappy with her
marrying an Armenian, as her moving far away.

Her husband was killed by an artillery shell during the war and she was
left with two children. She now has three grandchildren.

"In Karabakh, I don't have problems because I am an Azerbaijani.  I have
the same difficulties as everyone in Karabakh - difficulties with
finding work, low pay, no social security. But I am on good terms with
everyone.  The one problem which is worse for me now is that I haven't
seen my relatives from Baku for a very long time," she said.

"I've been in touch with my relatives several times - either over the
internet, or through my niece in Moscow - and they suggest we meet on
neutral territory, in a little place in Georgia called Sadakhlo.  But I
would far prefer to go to Baku. All my relations have had children and
grandchildren - I want to see them all. And I want to visit my parents'
grave."

She says her children feel Armenian, but they still speak Azeri and
sometimes watch Azerbaijani television, which can be seen in Karabakh.
And she continues to cook her favourite Azerbaijani specialities, which
her friends and grandchildren adore.

Seda Ghazarian, a former registry officer, who conducted marriage
ceremonies for 25 years, said that in Soviet times Armenian-Azerbaijani
marriages were rare in the Armenian-majority town of Stepanakert,
capital of Karabakh, but were more common in the Azerbaijani-majority
town of Shushi (known by the Azerbaijanis as Shusha). Armenian women
were much more likely to marry Azerbaijanis than vice versa.

Sixty-eight-year-old Asya, an Armenian, who now lives in the village of
Gharabulakh had four children by her Azerbaijani husband. When the
Karabakh crisis began, she was forced to have medical treatment in
Ashgabat in Turkmenistan: she could not be treated in Stepanakert
because she was married to an Azerbaijani, nor in Baku, because she was
an Armenian.

She was still in Ashgabat when she found out that her home town had been
captured by the Armenians and her family had fled to Baku. Asya returned
to Karabakh to look after her ill mother and to wait for the war to end
so she could be reunited with her children. Her wait lasted 14 years,
during which time eight grandchildren were born to her, whom she never
saw.

Then she got a letter from her daughter which read, "Dear Mummy, I dream
about you all the time, and every morning I wake up in tears!  God grant
that this damned war stops and that we can put our arms around you
again.  Please look after yourself!  Have pity on and forgive your
innocent, tormented children!"

Asya cried as she said, "How many nights are there in 14 years?  Every
one of those nights I longed for my children to come to me in a dream.
Then the sun came out for me."

She got a letter from her son and they arranged to meet in Georgia,
"They didn't let us over the border - because neither of our passports
were in order.  But when they found out we hadn't seen each other for 14
years - they let us through.  My son held out his arms and came towards
me.  For two minutes I was as good as dead in his arms.  Passers-by kept
asking what had happened.  They cried too."

Often an Armenian name conceals an Azerbaijani.  Alexander, 52, and has
an Armenian surname, but everyone knows he is actually an Azerbaijani,
bearing the name of his mother's first husband. But he says he feels
Armenian, "When I turned four, for several years my father's family
wanted me to be circumcised like Azerbaijani boys.  Mum and I objected.
Relations with my father's relatives have been strained ever since.  See
them now?  No, I wouldn't want to."

Alexander fought in the Karabakh war, like virtually all males in
region.  "I defended my homeland - it is every man's duty to do that,"
he said. Today this good-natured man and his son work for a construction
company in Karabakh and friends and colleagues speak highly of him.

"I am a simple working man, and I have learned a simple truth in life -
that it is a man's work and his character that are important, not his
nationality," he said.

Sixty-five-year-old Svetlana Gevorkian, who has lived in Stepanakert all
her life, says that there are actually several mixed
Armenian-Azerbaijani families living on her street.

"They live here as we do," she said. "No one is drawing a line between
Armenians and Azerbaijanis."  Svetlana confirmed that, as for many
people of her generation, Azerbaijani culture was part of her life.

"I can speak Azeri because I studied Azeri at school and not Armenian.
And I still remember my teacher was called Maleika Mamedova. Her husband
was Armenian.  And the language was mainly used in the market - there
were mostly Azerbaijanis trading there and we spoke to them in their
language."

She confirms that her generation still has memories and knowledge of
Azerbaijan, but this is slowly dying out.

 "We would love to know what people in Azerbaijan think about the war.
Sometimes we switch on AzTV, we get their First Channel with
interference, but when you always hear the same thing over and over
again - that they must fight, fight, fight, - I get anxious and switch
off, and then don't turn it on again for ages," she said.

"The only link to Azerbaijan here now is that Azerchai tea is still sold
here. I don't know how they get it in - it used to be very good quality,
but now it's not so good."

Karine Ohanian is a freelance journalist in Stepanakert, Nagorny
Karabakh.

****************** VISIT IWPR ON-LINE: www.iwpr.net ***************

IWPR's Caucasus Reporting Service provides the international community
with a unique insiders' perspective on events in the North and South
Caucasus. Using our network of local journalists, the service publishes
news and analysis from across the region every week.

The service forms part of IWPR's Caucasus programme, which supports
local media development while encouraging better local and international
understanding of the region.

IWPR's Caucasus programme is supported by the British government, the
Norwegian government, the European Commission and the Finnish
government. The service is currently available online in English and in
Russian.

For further details on this project and other information services and
media programmes, visit IWPR's website: www.iwpr.net

Editor-in-Chief: Anthony Borden; Managing Editor: Yigal Chazan; Project
Coordinator and Editor: Tom de Waal; Senior Editor: John MacLeod;
Regional Director and Editor: Margarita Akhvlediani in Tbilisi;
Editor/Trainer: David Stern; Associate Editors: Shahin Rzayev in Baku,
Seda Muradian in Yerevan, Valery Dzutsev in Vladikavkaz and Timur Aliev
in Nazran.

IWPR Project Development and Support - Executive Director: Anthony
Borden; Strategy & Assessment Director: Alan Davis; Managing Director:
Tim Williams.

The Institute for War & Peace Reporting is a London-based independent
non-profit organisation supporting regional media and democratic change.

48 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)20 7831 1030  Fax: +44 (0)20 7831 1050

The opinions expressed in IWPR's Caucasus Reporting Service are those of
the authors and do not necessarily represent those of the publication or
of IWPR.

ISSN: 1477-7959 Copyright (c) 2006 The Institute for War & Peace
Reporting

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/