MINELRES: Romania: Bulletin DIVERS on Ethnic Minorities - 40(168) October 24, 2005

[email protected] [email protected]
Tue Oct 25 16:07:28 2005

Original sender: Divers Bulletin <[email protected]>

Divers Bulletin no. 40 (168) / October 24, 2005
News

HUNGARIAN AND ROMANIAN PRIME MINISTERS ATTEND HISTORIC JOINT SESSION

VOLUME ON THE ROMANIAN-HUNGARIAN POLITICAL RECONCILIATION

LEVENTE SALAT: "EFFORT IS NEEDED TO DECONSTRUCT THE PREJUDICE OF THE ROMANIAN
AND ETHNIC HUNGARIAN YOUNGSTERS"

PROTESTS FOR RE-OPENING OF HUNGARIAN UNIVERSITY IN CLUJ

POLICE TO ADOPT AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS ON HUMAN RIGHTS

ETHNIC ROMA IN EASTERN ROMANIA HAVE BAKERY MADE WITH EU FUNDS

News

HUNGARIAN AND ROMANIAN PRIME MINISTERS ATTEND HISTORIC JOINT SESSION

BUCHAREST - The Romanian and Hungarian governments on October 20 held their
first joint Cabinet meeting, marking a historic reconciliation between the two
neighbors.
The meeting was attended by over 60 Romanian and Hungarian dignitaries, who
signed dozens of bilateral cooperation agreements related to various issues:
supporting small and medium private companies, communications, internal
affairs, infrastructure development, health, defense, culture and education, as
well as the status of minorities.
"Our peoples have hurt each other in the past but today we have the wisdom to
change our fate and draw a common future. Our governments will together adopt
decisions that will affect our countries' future development," said Romanian PM
Calin Popescu Tariceanu at the opening ceremony.
Hungary's Prime-Minister Ferenc Gyurcsany also said the joint meeting showed
the two countries had surpassed a difficult past and noted that Hungary's
parliament has already ratified Romania's EU membership treaty.
Tariceanu and Gyurcsany signed an important protocol which allows Hungarian and
Romanian customs officers to perform joint checks, simplifying border crossing
procedures. The two prime ministers also decided to recreate the Gojdu Romanian-
Hungarian Public Foundation in Budapest, which is to be financed by both
governments. The Foundation will include a museum, a library and an Institute
for Strategic Cooperation. It will grant annual scholarships to Romanian and
Hungarian students who can not afford a higher education.
The Gojdu Foundation also functioned between 1870 and 1952, but the communist
regime in Hungary decided to destroy it.
Gyurcsany also announced that a new Hungarian consulate in Romania will be
opened in Miercurea Ciuc and a cultural institute will soon be established in
Sfantu Gheorghe, Harghita County.
Another topic of discussion was the Brasov-Bors highway which will facilitate
access to Hungary. Minister of Transportation Gheorghe Dobre informed the
Budapest authorities that the contract signed by the Romanian government with
US Bechtel does not comply with European legislation on public acquisitions,
but Tariceanu said that the government is trying to solve the problem so
construction works can resume as quickly as possible.
In addition, the Hungarian and Romanian education ministers have decided to
create a program that will allow Romanian students to visit Hungary and
Hungarian students to visit Romania.
The governments also discussed a memorandum specifying that the Romanian
government is to allocate funds for the private Sapientia Hungarian University.
Democratic Hungarians' Alliance (UDMR) President Marko Bela also made a speech
and said that Romania and Hungary want to share the same values and follow the
same democratic principles. Marko reminded the guests that in 1990 Romania and
Hungary were on the verge of an interethnic conflict and added that even if the
shadows of the past still haunt the two nations, the future seems bright. "We
now have common goals and we can reach these only if we work together," said
Marko.
He also stated that the situation of both Hungarians living in Romania and
Romanians living in Hungary depend on cooperation between the two countries and
that the governments need to improve their legislation to be sure that
minorities' rights will never be violated.
The presidents of the County Councils of Maramures, Satu Mare, Bihor, Arad and
Timis were also invited to the meeting, as most Hungarians in Romania live in
these regions.
The event was a premiere for both Hungary and Romania, as well as for Central
and Eastern Europe, as no other governments in the region have ever organized a
joint session.
Author: DIVERS

VOLUME ON THE ROMANIAN-HUNGARIAN POLITICAL RECONCILIATION

BUCHAREST � Centre of Resources for Ethno-Cultural Diversity and Pro-Europe
League on October 19 launched the volume "Relatiile romano-maghiare si modelul
de reconciliere franco-german" (Romanian-Hungarian relations and the Franco-
German reconciliation model).
The book presents the results of an investigation the two civic organizations
initiated in 2002 and within which they invited over 300 public figures,
opinion leaders in Romania and Hungary to show their points of view on the
evolution and the perspectives of the Romanian-Hungarian relations, inviting
them to compare, to evaluate the opportunity of using the institutional support
of the Franco-German reconciliation model. The book includes 31 stands on this
problem plus a study widely presenting this institutional support of
reconciliation.
The launching of the volume was occasioned by the joint session of the Romanian
and Hungarian governments, occasion on which it is discussed the opportunity of
establishing a Romanian-Hungarian Bureau for youngsters, idea that belonged to
the two organizations.
�This project starts from a similar Franco-German one, which registered
spectacular results on improving the relations between the two nations. About 7
million persons have benefited along the year from the programs of the Franco-
German bureau, which led to influencing in better and to the ideas similarity
of an entire generation�, stated the political scientist Emil Hurezeanu,
present at the launching. �Romania needs such initiatives, despite the fact the
relations between Romania and Hungary improved through their closeness to the
Euro-Atlantic field, a civic project of reconciliation is still missing�.
On his turn, Smaranda Enache, the president of the League Pro Europe, and co-
editor of the volume was hopeful the Romanian-Hungarian relations will become
better in the near future. �It cannot be changed the course of history without
courage and passion. We want our states invest in the reshuffling and this
volume is a step forward in hat respect�.
Author: DIVERS

LEVENTE SALAT: "EFFORT IS NEEDED TO DECONSTRUCT THE PREJUDICE OF THE ROMANIAN
AND ETHNIC HUNGARIAN YOUNGSTERS"

>- Interview with Levente Salat, pro-rector with University Babes Bolyai and co-
editor of the volume "Romanian-Hungarian relationships and the Franco-German
reconciliation process".

Reporter: What is the main aim of this volume?
Levente Salat: The volume aimed at becoming an instrument of advocacy, reason
for which the volume is trilingual. We though it necessary that in order to
establish a Romanian-Hungarian youngsters� institute according to the model of
France and Germany, we should make lobby at the European Union as well as along
the two governments. We also aimed at evaluating the intellectual status of the
Romanian-Hungarian relationships. When we first initiated this project, we have
never imagined the answers we receive will emphasize the need to establish the
respective institute, so to take over the institutional support of the French-
German model.
When we first sent the invitation to answer a couple of questions, to the
public figures in the two countries, we have never thought of making a
comparison with the political relevance between the two situations: situation
of the `50 - `60, when it was taken into account the opportunity of French-
German reconciliation, namely the moment 2002, when the issue of the Romanian-
Hungarian relations was actual despite of the positive developments in the past
years. It was obvious the two situations cannot compare and the French-German
model cannot be taken over as a historical model and enforced within the
Romanian-Hungarian context. We thought of that institutional support of the
French-German reconciliation, which proved us the reconciliation did not take
place on January 23, 1963, the second day after the historic agreement between
the two states, but following the efforts deployed by the two governments,
which targeted the compliance of the way history was taught in schools, of
providing opportunities for the youngsters in the two countries to mutually
know the culture and the way of living.
This was assumed and greatly accomplished by this French-German institute for
youngsters. The book mainly aimed to draw the attention upon the fact the
political exploitation of the reference to a possible comparison between the
French-German and Romanian-Hungarian reconciliation models are unproductive.
Only the institutional support can be taken over and the methods recreating the
social bases of this reconciliation within generations.

R: What impact do you expect the book to have?
LS: When we initiated this project back in 2002, we did not image it becomes
real or, following a lobby the Centre for Resources of Ethno-Cultural Diversity
along with Pro Europe League made, and the proposal to establish such an
institute is discussed during the session between the Romanian and Hungarian
Governments. We also drew up a project of governmental agreement on
establishing the respective institution. As far as we know, this proposal was
taken over and the agreement will hopefully be enacted and signed. If this
happens, we could say the initiative registered an unexpected result and the
establishment of a Romanian-Hungarian institute for youngsters according to
that in France and Germany will become real. We hope the institute is going to
be an active initiative, financed by both governments. We also hope the
European Union will also be interested in financing it through specific
mechanisms.

R: What are the initiatives for the youngsters� office and how efficient do you
believe it is going to be to improve the Romanian-Hungarian relationships?
L S: The French-German department has a lot of experience in this field. It is
impressing how the department has changed, as besides the large number of
youngsters � seven million in the 40 years of existence of the centre � and the
large number of organized events, exchanges were made between different
categories of youngsters who were enabled to travel abroad and to learn at a
beginners level in the language of the other nation, to have direct contacts
with youngsters in the own category, to take part in their lives during a
longer period of time, to get familiar with the culture of the other nation.
Altogether, it was paid special attention to the way the collective mentality
mirrors the other culture. This mirrored the manner to teach history, the way
the culture of the other country is mirrored in the media from the respective
country, so we can say this was a project of social constructivism extremely
well built, in which both governments invested and considering the existing
prejudice of the youngsters in Romania and Hungary, a joint effort is needed to
gradually destroy these mental structures.
Author: DIVERS

PROTESTS FOR RE-OPENING OF HUNGARIAN UNIVERSITY IN CLUJ

CLUJ-NAPOCA � Over 500 persons took part on October 18, in a demonstration
organized in front of University "Babes-Bolyai" (UBB) in Cluj-Napoca, asking
the re-establishment of University Bolyai, as a state university teaching in
Hungarian language.
The participants to the demonstration were wearing placards with "Set free our
university", "Education in the mother tongue". Within the manifestation there
have been sent support messages of the reformed bishop Tokes Laszlo, of
deputies Konya Hamar Sandor and Toro T. Tibor, of the Euro-parliamentarian
Michl Ebner in South Tyrol, and didactic bodies of the ethnic Hungarian
education line with UBB held speeches pleading for the reestablishment of
University Bolyai.
Deputy Toro T. Tibor asked the political leadership of the country to initiate
a law in that respect and recommended the civil society to enforce movements of
civic disobedience in the event the ethnic Hungarian state university in Cluj-
Napoca is not re-established.
The organizers of the manifestation asked the vice-Premier Marko Bela,
president of UDMR, to support the making of �a rapid decision� on re-
establishing University "Bolyai" in the joint session of the Romanian-Hungarian
government scheduled for end-October.
In addition, in an open letter addressed the president of Romania, Traian
Basescu, the president is asked to use his authority to adopt the solution
complying with the "claims and tradition within the ethnic Hungarian community
in Romania".
The participants to the demonstration also asked the financing from Romania�s
state budget of the ethnic Hungarian private university Sapientia and of
Christian University Partium, as well as the change of the "discriminative"
situation underwent by the ethnic Hungarian pupils.
The associations that organized the manifestation ask the establishment of
ethnic Hungarian independent faculties within UBB "as a first and urgent step"
to the re-establishment of University "Bolyai". According to them, as of the
academic year 2006-2007, the state university in ethnic Hungarian language will
start functioning, process to involve the teaching of 25% of UBB
infrastructure, including the university campuses in counties Mures, Harghita
and Covasna and a part of the main building in Cluj-Napoca.
In addition, it was requested the establishment of section with teaching in
ethnic Hungarian language at the faculties of engineering, sciences of
agriculture, veterinary medicine and plastic arts.
Some of the claims of the associations include those on the autonomy of the
entire pre-university and university education system in ethnic Hungarian
language, the right of the Csango people to learn ethnic Hungarian language,
the writing off the compulsoriness to learn history and geography of Romania in
the Romanian language, in the education units with teaching in ethnic Hungarian
language.
Author: DIVERS

POLICE TO ADOPT AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS ON HUMAN RIGHTS

BUCHAREST - The General Police Department has announced it is considering to
adopt new measures to eliminate human rights abuses, following advice from
Amnesty International and other NGOs in the field.
Last week, Amnesty International called on the Romanian government to complete
a monitoring system aimed at listing the human rights issues encountered in
police investigations involving the Roma minority.
The organization which also drew attention to racism in some parts of the
media, issued a report containing cases of police abuses. A press release from
the Police Department said that all cases of alleged abuses by the institution
were investigated thoroughly and the necessary measures were taken against
those who misused their guns or abused their positions.
According to the press release, such abuses are isolated cases, not a general
feature of police work. A recent survey showed that only 14 such cases took
place, and the press release emphasized that several protocols have been signed
with a number of institutions, including NGOs, to prevent police abuses.
Special commissions have been created to promote better understanding of human
rights among police officers and police staff.
Amnesty referred in its report to the excessive use of force by the state's
authorities dealing with investigations and asked the government to examine
whether Romanian legislation on the use of guns is in line with European
standards. The organization also recommended EU officials to keep a close eye
on Romania and Bulgaria over human rights issues. The report comes at a
delicate time for the two countries, which are awaiting the EU country report
next week which will have strong influence on whether the two countries will
enter in 2007.
Author: DIVERS

ETHNIC ROMA IN EASTERN ROMANIA HAVE BAKERY MADE WITH EU FUNDS

BRAILA � The partnership between the Communitarian Group of Initiative of the
ethnic Roma in commune Gradistea (Braila county, eastern Romania), Local
Council and County Council Braila led to the establishment of a bakery in the
locality.
The project was financed by the European Union and developed on last ten
months, as of December 2004. The budget was of over EUR 52,000. Subsequent to
the end of the credit, the new owner of the bakery � Ethnic Roma Association in
Gradistea � will accomplish revenues from the retail sale of the bakery
products in the neighboring localities. �This first project involving the
villagers was undoubtedly a challenge and an opportunity for the rural
community and not only for the ethnic Roma in the commune. The establishment of
the Ethnic Roma Association in commune Gradistea for Local Initiative (ARGIL)
is a very important step in multiplying the positive effects of the project,
which enables the ethnic Roma community to access other financing resources�,
stated the mayor of commune, Petre Andrei.
The project included all the expenses starting from the establishment of the
ethnic Roma association and continuing with the planning and use of the
production area and depositing, training of the operative personnel and ending
with the starting up of the production.
The beneficiaries of the project are the ethnic Roma in Gradistea. Out of
these, 22 were trained to get the qualification of baker and 12 persons will be
employed within the bakery, informs the release.
Author: DIVERS

DIVERS - News bulletin about ethnic minorities living in Romania is edited
every week by MEDIAFAX, with the financial support of King Baudouin Foundation,
Belgium and Ethnocultural Diversity Resource Center. Partial or full
reproduction of the information contained in DIVERS is allowed only if the
source is mentioned. You can send messages and suggestions regarding the
content of DIVERS bulletin at MEDIAFAX, Str. Tudor Arghezi, Nr. 3B, Sector 2 -
Bucharest, tel: 021/ 305.31.91 or at the e-mail address: [email protected]

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/