MINELRES: Mercator Newsletter - No.17, September 2005

[email protected] [email protected]
Mon Oct 17 09:35:03 2005

Original sender: Mercator webmaster <[email protected]>

Mercator Newsletter - No.17, September 2005
[Mercator-Education] [Mercator-Legislation] [Mercator-Media]
>From January 2005 the Mercator Common Newsletter is a monthly
newsletter. This way you will be kept informed with more recent and
updated information.

News Miscellany 4th Mercator International Symposium
Mercator-Media

Translation of Culture, Culture of Translation: Languages in Film,
Television and Literature
Aberyswyth, Wales
26 - 28 October 2005

a.. Legislation News - ML
   a.. European Youth Seminar 'Minnows' - MM
b.. New titles Library - ME

Publications and projects
a.. Bulletin n. 63 online - ML
b.. Research at the Slavic Research Center of Hokkaido University - ME
c.. Conference on 'Lesser Used Languages in Estonia and Europe' - ME

IV Mercator International Symposium
"Translation of Culture, Culture of Translation: Languages in Film,
Television and Literature"

MERCATOR-MEDIA

Dates Announced for the 4th Mercator International Symposium

The 4th Mercator International Symposium will be held on 26, 27 and 28
October 2005 in Aberystwyth, Wales and will have the theme of
"Translation of Culture, Culture of Translation: Languages in Film,
Television and Literature".

Language transfer, which includes, for the purposes of this symposium,
subtitling and dubbing of both film and television as well as literary
translation, is a multi-faceted phenomenon from the point of view of
minority languages. It can be used to disseminate cultures which find
themselves outside the audiovisual and literary 'mainstream' and to
maximise audience or reader numbers for minority cultural products.
Moreover, translation into minority languages not only increases the
volume of available material in a marginalised language, but may have a
wider cultural impact and contribute to the development of the language
as a dynamic creative medium. On the other hand, the effect of
'importing' cultural references on a large scale may not always be
viewed positively.

This symposium will seek contributions to this discussion from those
active as practitioners and policy-makers in the audiovisual and
literary fields (producers, directors, broadcasters, subtitlers and
dubbers, scriptwriters, publishers, authors, translators) as well as
those concerned with these issues in an academic context. While the
emphasis will be on autochthonous minority languages (that is to say the
languages of groups long-established on their current territory and
using a language other than the primary official language of their state
or a language in some sense socially and/or politically marginalised)
connections may be made with issues of concern to smaller state
languages, migrant languages and cultural production originating from
beyond the metropolitan mainstream. We shall welcome contributions which
make those connections. Key areas of discussion will include (but need
not be limited to):

a.. The politics of translation
b.. The effects of 'global' culture
c.. Cultural policy and translation
d.. Language transfer and cultural transfer
e.. Translation and language planning
f.. International partnerships
g.. Digital technology and the internet
h.. Sign languages in the audiovisual media
i.. Learners and fluent speakers as audiences/readers
j.. Children as audience/readers
Registration closes 10 October 2005 and will be on a 'first come first
served' basis. Details at:
http://www.aber.ac.uk/mercator/english/events.htm

News September 2005 (links to the Mercator websites)

Legislation news - Mercator-Linguistic Rights and Legislation

a.. The Council of Europe publishes a report on minority languages in
Croatia [+]
b.. 15th anniversary of the Office for National and Ethnic Minorities of
Hungary [+]
c.. The Catalan government issues the new language policy plan [+]
d.. CoE holds the colloquium "European culture: Identity and diversity''
[+]
e.. The Intergroup issues a critical report on the conditions of the
Slovenian minorities in Austria and Italy [+]
f.. Four million euros for Hungarian and Italian minorities and
languages in Slovenia [+]

Publications

New: Bulletin n.63 - Mercator-Linguistic Rights and Legislation

Mercator-Linguistic Rights and Legislation has published its Bulletin 63
which contains different legislative text translated into several
languages. [+]

Projects: Research at the Slavic Research Center of Hokkaido University
- Mercator-Education

>From 1 September until 1 November 2005 Tjeerd de Graaf, research
associate at the Frisian Academy is working at the Slavic Research
Center of Hokkaido University in Japan.He is invited by this Center in
the framework of its Center of Excellence Program. Part of his work
concerns the minority situation for two ethnic minorities and their
languages: the Ainu of Japan and the Nivkh of Sakhalin. He will compare
the similarities of and differences between those groups and use this
for a contribution to an article on Endangered Languages for the UNESCO
encyclopedia of life support systems. [+]

Conference on 'Lesser Used Languages in Estonia and Europe' -
Mercator-Education

On 30 September and 1 October 2005 this conference was organised by the
Estonian Bureau for Lesser Used Languages (EstBLUL). It was held in
Roosta which is situated in the beautiful area where for a long time a
Swedish minority community is living. The main objective for this
conference was to inform the language communities in the Baltic Sea area
about the EU, Council of Europe and other initiatives such as Mercator
as well as to provide information about the situation of the language
commmunities in this region. [+]

Miscellany

European Youth Seminar 'Minnows' by the Wales' Premier Youth Movement -
Mercator-Media

Urdd Gobaith Cymru would like to invite young people to participate in a
Seminar to be held in Wales next year. The focus will be on a European
Dimension celebrating the culture and identity of countries and their
part in Europe focusing on minority languages, customs, traditions and
culture. Up to 8 participants (18-22 years old) including one leader per
country. [+]

New titles Library - Mercator-Education

Landscape, Law and Customary Rights : Report from a symposium in
Guovdageaidnu-Kautokeino 26-28 March 2003 / [ed. by] Michael Jones and
Audhild Schanche. - Norway, Guovdageaidnu-Kautokeino : Nordic Sami
Institute, 2004. - (Diedut no.3, 2004) - issn 0332-7779 - signature
100Sam10
[+]

http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/ http://www.microlink.com/