MINELRES: European Free Alliance: 'Need for more women in politics'

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Tue Mar 8 19:48:41 2005

Original sender: Eva Mendoza <[email protected]>

EFA /ALE
European Free Alliance / Alliance Libre europeenne (asbl)
European Political Party
19 Woeringenstraat, 1000-Brussels, Belgium
Tel 0032 (0) 2 513.34.76 Fax 0032 (0) 2 513.34.25
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.e-f-a.org

INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY

'Need for more women in politics'

On International Women's Day (Tuesday 8 March), Euro-MP Jill Evans and
European Free Alliance President Nelly Maes have called for more action
to increase the number of women involved in political and public life.
There was also criticism of events in Istanbul on Sunday which saw
Turkish police adopt heavy handed tactics to deal with a protest calling
for equal rights for women.

The politicians want Europe to consider introducing new measures to
facilitate the participation of women in political and public life.

Nelly Maes - the only woman to lead one of the new pan European
political parties established recently - commented:

"On International Women's Day it's only fitting that we recognise the
unique contribution women make in all walks of life. Yet it remains the
case that in many parts of Europe and at many levels of government women
remain underrepresented in the spheres of political influence that have
such a big impact on all our lives.

That needs to change and we need to see Europe make substantial funding
available to facilitate the participation of women in public life.

Sunday's shocking scenes in Istanbul show that there is still a long way
to go to achieve our goals. The violent scenes of police so aggressively
dealing with peaceful protestors is deeply disturbing and will not help
Turkey's EU ambitions."

Jill Evans MEP added:

"It's not simply a question of upping the numbers of women in public
life, we also need to make sure they get the help they need to stay
involved and that we continue to develop new ways of helping women break
into what has traditionally been a male dominated club.

Tremendous progress has been made in some areas and in some countries -
the challenge now is to facilitate improvements in women's participation
in poorer performing countries whilst keeping up the momentum in the
better performing ones. A tall order - but one whose success will
ultimately benefit the whole of Europe.

I would like to see the European Commission bring forward new proposals
for consultation on fresh funding streams for helping break down the
barriers women face to participate fully in public life."

Steven Cornelius
EFA Press Officer / Attache de presse ALE
Green / EFA Group in the European Parliament
T: +32 (0)2 2841665 (BXL) / +33 (0)3 88172936 (SXB)
Mobile / Portable: +32 (0)473 560967
F: +32 (0)2 2841771 (BXL) / +33 (0)3 88179048

EFA /ALE
European Free Alliance / Alliance Libre europeenne (asbl)
European Political Party
19 Woeringenstraat, 1000-Brussels, Belgium
Tel 0032 (0) 2 513.34.76 / 48 51 Fax 0032 (0) 2 513.34.25
E-mail: [email protected] / [email protected]
Web: www.e-f-a.org