MINELRES: CfP: The Impact of Europeanization, May 7-9, University of Toronto

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Wed Jan 21 21:16:42 2004

Original sender: Essyn Emurla <[email protected]>

The Impact of Europeanization on Politics and Policy in Europe -
Trends and Trajectories

CALL FOR PAPERS

Young Scholars Conference
May 7-9, 2004

Keynote Address: Prof. James Caporaso, University of Washington

On May 7-9, 2004, the Institute for European Studies at the University
of Toronto will host a conference for junior scholars on the Impact of
Europeanization on Politics and Policy in Europe. The conference will
provide an opportunity for 12 to 15 young academics to present
substantial research and discuss important theoretical and empirical
questions with colleagues from across North America and Europe. Larger
dimensions of the impact of Europeanization that will be subject of
discussion include:
- Changing Policy-making and -output in the countries and regions of
Europe,
- The Transformation of State-society Relations, and
- National and Sub-national Institutional Responses to Europeanizati! on
and Emerging Norms.

Panels of 3 papers each will be matched according to the best paper
proposals submitted. Purely for the purpose of illustration, we propose
four here:
- "The EU as a transformative agent in European Civil Society? Social
movement and organized group contexts"
- "Evolving regimes in immigration, citizenship and minority rights"
- "The evolution of environmental decision-making and regulation"
- "Gender regimes and gendered policy-making"

The conference will be conducted in a workshop format with all papers
distributed to participants well in advance of the conference. All
papers will be discussed by both a faculty member and a senior Ph.D.
student to maximize constructive feedback. Both senior Ph.D. students
and those who have recently completed their doctoral dissertation are
invited to submit paper proposals. We are particularly interested in
projects that span multiple areas of inquiry, ! such as comparisons of
different policy sectors across countries. We also welcome
well-developed theoretical and normative contributions that advance and
focus our understanding of empirical phenomena.

Please submit an abstract of your paper (350 words), a brief academic
curriculum vitae, and complete contact information.

The deadline for proposal submissions is January 31, 2004

The conference organizers will cover participants' accommodation in
Toronto and most meals. Limited travel subsidies, based on demonstrated
need, will also be available. Those wishing to apply for additional
travel funding should download a travel funding request form from the
website below and submit it with their paper proposal.

Please send applications and enquiries to:

[email protected]

or in hard copy to
Essyn Emurla, Petr Kafka, Joerg Wittenbrinck
Programme Co-Chairs, Europeanization Con! ference
c/o Department of Political Science
University of Toronto
100 St. George Street
Toronto, ON, M5S 3G3