MINELRES: Eurolang: Survey reveals intolerance in Romania; Breton-medium schools face cash crisis; OSCE guidelines on minority languages in the broadcast media

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Sat Nov 1 18:07:43 2003

Original sender: Davyth Hicks <[email protected]>

Dear Sir/Madam,

We enclose for your attention summaries of articles which we carry
today.

Gallup survey reveals massive intolerance and prejudice in Romania
Kolozsvar / Cluj 29/10/03 by Aron Ballo

A survey has found that 81.1% of Romanians are against ethnic Hungarians
using their mother tongue in their contact with local administration and
46% disagree with state financed education in Hungarian in Romania. The
survey also reveals that 30% of Romanians believe that they 'should not
mix with other nations� and that �people of a different ethnicity than
Romanian should leave Romania� (13%). Furthermore, 26% were of the
opinion that ethnic Hungarians should move to Hungary.

State and union intransigence as Diwan Breton-medium schools face cash
crisis
Bruxelles / Brussel 28/10/03 by Davyth Hicks

The Diwan Breton bilingual immersion schools are facing a cash crisis
and will not be able to pay their teachers until 2004. Speaking
exclusively to Eurolang, Anna Vari Chapalain, Diwan Director, called on
all those 'who believe that a language should be allowed to live and who
believe in linguistic diversity� to support Diwan.

OSCE publishes guidelines on the use of minority languages in the
broadcast media
Baden 27/10/03 by Margret Oberhofer

�I intend to use the guidelines in the situation where you have
minorities in tense situations, in endangered positions and where there
are majority-minority frictions. I will bring these guidelines out and
try to get them realised,� stresses Rolf Ekeus, High Commissioner on
National Minorities (HCNM) from the Organisation for Security and
Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) in an interview with Eurolang. He was
speaking on Saturday at the OSCE conference on �Use of Minority
Languages in Broadcast Media� in the Austrian town of Baden, close to
Vienna.

The articles, and our entire service, are available at
http://www.eurolang.net

If you have any questions, please don�t hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your interest in the Eurolang news agency .

Best wishes,

Davyth Hicks

Redacteur en chef/Editor-in-Chief
EUROLANG