MINELRES: UNITED Conference: Intercultural Action in An Expanding Europe, Luxembourg, June 25-29, 2003

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Mon May 12 09:58:29 2003

Original sender: UNITED <[email protected]>

UNITED E-NEWS 08/05/03: CONFERENCE INVITATION

Dear colleagues and friends,

please find attached and below the information and nomination form (rtf
format) for our next UNITED Conference, INTERCULTURAL ACTION IN AN
EXPANDING EUROPE - developing anti-discrimination tools in a new
European context, June 25-29, 2003 in Luxembourg.

If you are interested to nominate a representative, please return the
form as soon as possible. A first selection of participants will be made
next week, May 15.

Best wishes,
Geert Ates
UNITED

************
INTERCULTURAL ACTION IN AN EXPANDING EUROPE
developing anti-discrimination tools in a new EUropean context
June 25-29, 2003 in Luxembourg

Europe is changing!

The EU enlargement is already on its way and a new Eastern Border will
be formed, re-dividing our common European House.

In this new social, political and legal context, groups such as black
and ethnic minorities, refugees and migrants are confronted with new
inequalities and changing faces of discrimination. Human rights are
frequently not respected and marginalised (youth) groups do not yet
sufficiently participate in decision-making processes. It is time for
anti-discrimination organisations not just to react but to actively
influence the changes in Europe.

How can we create the Europe we want to live in? How can we join our
efforts in combating racism and discrimination? The UNITED conference in
Luxembourg will bring together activists from organisations from all
over Europe to share experiences in these fields and find new ways to
work in the situations we are facing every day.

Main themes of the conference will be:

1. Europe - new borders, new identities. European citizenship, facing
new divides in Europe, new East-East political relations, etc.

2. Situation of migrants and refugees in an expanding Europe. Refugee
identity, equal rights for everybody, legalising the undocumented
refugees, economic migration, ...

3. Minorities in Europe. Combating stereotypes and prejudices,
respecting language and identity, wiping out social and cultural
stigmas...

4. Far-right: tendencies in Europe. Extremism in politics, media and
sports; growing violence, the  "respectable" right-wing, ...

5. Intercultural education. Non-formal approach of teaching and learning
about anti-racism, human rights, cultural influences, clash between
values, ...

Participants in the conference will build their image of a multicultural
Europe, by sharing experiences from their countries, re-thinking them in
a European context. They will learn from one another, will find new
inspiration and will plan concrete action towards an open-minded Europe.

UNITED, the biggest European anti-racist network of more than 550
organisations, organises a series of conferences in several European
countries to unite and concentrate anti-racist forces. At one of the
last UNITED conferences, held in October 2002 in Bucharest, 67 people
from 72 organisations from 28 countries met, from Italy to Russia, from
Ireland to Cyprus. They exchanged information, trained their skills and
prepared future action and campaigns (e.g. around the commemoration of
the "Kristallnacht" pogrom and the European-wide Action Week Against
Racism).

TECHNICAL INFO

WORKING METHODS
... plenaries, working groups, political caf�s, presentations, debates,
intercultural 'games', information market, intercultural inputs,
lectures, open forum �

PARTICIPANTS
The conference is planned for ca 60 participants living in Europe who
represent (inter)national anti-racist, anti-fascist and human rights
organisations. Active grass-roots groups from all over Europe are also
invited. Participation is rotated from one conference to another.
Priority will be given to nominations from delegates with a minority
background and young delegates. Preference is given to those
organisations that actively take part in UNITED campaigns. Participants
should act as multipliers, spreading the information to as many people
as possible. We will try to reach an equal balance of female/male
participants and a good geographical distribution. Each organisation can
nominate only one delegate.

LANGUAGE
The conference language is English. All participants are expected to
have at least basic knowledge of English. But don't worry, English is
almost nobody's mother tongue. If you have difficulties in expressing
yourself, surely we can help each other.

PARTICIPATION FEE
The participation fee of the conference is 80 Euro (supporters of UNITED
50 Euro). Participants coming from Central- and Eastern Europe may ask
for reimbursement of (part of) the participation fee from our Solidarity
Fund before the conference. Full board and lodging and the complete
program is paid for by the organisers.

CONTRIBUTION TO TRAVEL COSTS
UNITED, with the kind support from National Youth Service (Luxembourg),
can contribute to your travel costs:
- Up to a maximum of 350 � for CEE countries: AL, ARM, AZ, BY, BH, BG,
HR, CZ, EE, GE, H, KZ, KY, LV, LT,
MK, MD, PL, RO, RUS, SK, SI, TR, UA, UZB, YU
- Up to a maximum of 300 � for all the other European countries

Conferences can only take place when participants make an effort to
contribute financially to their travel costs. We ask you to find out if
there are alternative possibilities of funding. Sometimes it is possible
to find small local grants. We would very much appreciate your help.

UNITED only reimburses (APEX, economy class, youth fares if possible)
flights for distances over 700 km (one way). All others we ask to come
by bus or train. If this creates insurmountable problems for you,
contact the secretariat before the conference. Please look for the
cheapest and most environmentally friendly possibility to travel.

You will be expected to attend the whole meeting and to prove your
expenses with an original invoice, the original tickets AND your
boarding pass stubs. The cost of your visa will be reimbursed by UNITED.

DATES / PLACE
The conference will start on Wednesday 25 June and will end after lunch
on Sunday 29 June. It will take place in a little village close to the
city of Luxembourg. We will stay in a Youth Hostel, you will share a
room with other people in relatively simple accommodation. If you wish
to stay longer or arrive earlier (on your own costs), we can help you
arrange your stay.

FURTHER INFORMATION
Please, note that your registration of interest does not guarantee that
a place will be available. Only those candidates selected for
participation (this will be known around 15 May), will receive further
information e.g. visa invitation, explanation 'how to get there', a
final program, list of participants, etc. Feel free to contact us (by
email) after May 20 to inform about your nomination.

PROGRAM

Wednesday 25 June

until 17:30    Arrival of participants

20:30         "Breaking the Blocks" and Official opening reception

Thursday 26 June
9.30-9.45       Welcome! - What is UNITED?, Presentation of SNJ,
Programme/team/technics, Personal introductions

11.15-12.30     Working groups "My multicultural Europe" - Finding out
what we have in common and what is different in how we see ourselves and
the anti-discrimination movement

14.30-15.00     Presentation of the results of the working groups

15.00-18.00    Thematic working groups Part I - introduction
             - Europe - new borders, new identities
             - Situation of migrants and refugees in an expanding Europe
             - Minorities in Europe
             - Far-right: tendencies in Europe
             - Intercultural education
20:30         Info Market and International Snacks, with the
participation of local NGOs
              Political Cafe (optional)

Friday 27 June

9.30-9.45         Plenary

9.45-11.00       Continuation of the thematic groups Part II - Sharing
good practices

11.15-12.30     Presentation and debate "Europe: Quo Vadis?" Effects of
the EU enlargement on asylum and migration policy in Europe

14.30-16.00     Continuation of the thematic groups Part III -
Developing common strategies

16.15-17.15  Presentation of the results of the thematic working groups

17.15-18.00   Introduction of the action planning working groups

19:30         Free Evening - City tour in Luxembourg  / Video evening
(Optional)

Saturday 28 June

9.30-9.45     Plenary

9.45-12.30    Action planning working groups How to co-operate in an
expanding Europe

            - Campaigning against fascism
            - Campaigning against racism
            - Campaigning in support of refugees
            - Planning and organising Training Courses

14.30-16.00   Continuation of the action planning working groups

16.15-17.00   Presentation of the results of the action planning working
groups

17.00-18.00   Press conference Statement of the Luxembourg's Minister of
FSSY

20:30         Intercultural Evening and Farewell Party

Sunday 29 June

10.00-10.30       Open Forum

10.30-11.15   "Active without words" interactive participation

11.30-12.30     Evaluation

12.30           Closing of the conference

after 14.00    Departure of participants

This conference is prepared by:
ASLIR / FTMB (RO), Bulgarian Helsinki Committee (BG),
Forschungsgesellschaft Flucht + Migration (D), Helping Hands Salzburg
(A), Liaison + Action Committee. for Foreigners (L), National Youth
Service - SNJ (L), Org. for\ Support.\ Integration of Minorities (CZ),
UNITED for Intercultural Action

REGISTRATION OF INTEREST

INTERCULTURAL ACTION IN AN EXPANDING EUROPE
developing anti-discrimination tools in a new EUropean context

June 25-29, 2003 in Luxembourg

If you want to participate in the conference please fill in this form
completely.  Each organisation can only register one representative. If
your form arrives at UNITED before 13/05/2003, your nomination will have
a higher chance of acceptance.

Organisation's address:
Phone:
Fax:
E-mail:
Webpage:

Name of delegate:

Date of birth:

Male:                   Female:

Address to send conference documents:

Special needs (vegetarian, disabilities etc.):

Do you consider yourself to be part of a minority?
No      Yes (which one?):

Motivation and aims for participating:

Please, describe the work you are doing and the projects you have been
involved in.

Which working group would you like to attend? (Indicate two priorities,
put "1" and "2" behind the relevant working groups.)