MINELRES: UNITED E-NEWS: Report on 21 March campaign

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Sat Mar 29 09:03:01 2003

Original sender: UNITED <[email protected]>

UNITED E-NEWS: Contribute to the Campaign Report on the European-wide
Action Week Against Racism

Send your material, press clippings, leaflets, pictures, reports etc.
for the international report now!
(By mail to UNITED, Postbus 413, NL-1000 AK Amsterdam or by email to
[email protected]  )

Dear friends,

Of course, the start of the second Gulf War had major impact on the
European-wide Action Week Against Racism, 15-23 March 2003. In
activities, taking place in 39 European countries, America's attack on
Iraq could not be ignored. Activities, as e.g. the Global Days in
Denmark and the commemorations of 21 March at UNESCO, provided an open
forum for people to discuss on the war with an anti-racist approach.

Nevertheless, the European-wide Action Week was more than an anti-war
campaign reacting on actual events. Several organisations joining the
week addressed different issues as for example discrimination of Rroma
(Penal Reform International: Discrimination against Roma in Criminal
Justice and Prison Systems in Romania), racism in the media (Vaka - Hand
in Hand Belgium, Youth Against Racism Sweden) and social cohesion in the
multiethnic society.

UNITED brought all these activities together to one awareness-raising
campaign - highlighting the issue of racism on the European level. In a
media release UNITED's spokesman stated: "While discussing very
intensively about the Iraq issue we should not forget what is happening
next door... NGOs from 39 countries organise activities during the
European-wide Action Week against Racism to stress that fundamentally we
are all the same - regardless our color of skin, our ethnicity or our
religion."

On the Internet Centre Against Racism (www.icare.to) you can find
several audio reports of activities that took place during the action
week.

UNITED will produce a campaign report aiming to reflect the diversity of
anti-racist activities in the week. Therefore we need material covering
your activities:
- reports
- leaflets, posters, other material
- newspaper articles
- photographs
and all other graphic material which you have produced. Especially
interesting would be the documentation of reactions from the public and
media. The better the information we get, the better the report will be!
The better the report, the better you can use it for your future work,
to raise funds etc.

You will receive the report in the third UNITED mailing this year.

With kind regards,

Leon Wansleben

Start your cyberday on http://www.icare.to
Internet Centre Anti-Racism Europe
UNITED for Intercultural Action
European network against nationalism, racism, fascism
and in support of migrants and refugees
PB 413, NL-1000 AK Amsterdam
phone +31-20-6834778, fax +31-20-6834582
[email protected]
http://www.unitedagainstracism.org