MINELRES: UNITED E-NEWS: European-wide Action Week against Racism; Media Release

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Fri Mar 21 10:46:40 2003

Original sender: UNITED <[email protected]>

E-NEWS UNITED 19/03/03: MEDIA RELEASE European-wide Action Week against
Racism

"A Europe of diversity, dialogue and peace!"

21 March marks the highlight of the biggest anti-racism campaign in
Europe with activities in over 39 countries. "While discussing very
intensively about the Iraque issue we should not forget what is
happening next door."

During the European-wide Action Week against Racism, centered around 21
March, the UN Day for the Elimination of all Forms of Racial
Discrimination, hundreds of non-governmental organisations together
raise awareness about racism and promote a Europe of intercultural
dialogue.

Think globally - act locally
A spokesperson of UNITED, the biggest pan-European network against
racism, states: "Especially in times, when cooperation of governments is
weakened and unilaterism dominates international relations, it is
crucial that NGOs act united across borders. We believe that
international cooperation can only be based on equal rights, mutual
respect and listening to each other. The policy of the United States
regarding the war in Iraque will not only have disastrous consequences
for the people of Iraque but also destroys the idea of an international
community ensuring peace and human rights. As it turns to international
politics we fear that the present situation, with some countries
deciding on the fate of the international community, will weaken human
rights. The movement against racism demands the European community to
actively struggle for human rights - on the global, European, national
and even local level!"

Combating racism in Europe  "Look Deeper - fundamentally we are all the
same"
Not only around the world, also in Europe human rights and minority
rights are regularly violated. Refugees, Roma, religious and ethnic
minorities - they all face discrimination and racism: at the labour
markets, regarding political and social rights, in the streets. NGOs
from 39 countries organise activities during the European-wide Action
Week against Racism  (15-23 March) to stress that fundamentally we are
all the same - regardless our color of skin, our ethnicity or our
religion.

In the framework of UNITED's unique campaign UNESCO arranges two days of
action in Paris. Among others young people will write a "Declaration
Against Racism", there will be art against discrimination and a panel
discussion with mayors, who in 1998 launched the Charter for Human
Rights. An activist from the UNITED network says: "It is very inspiring
to know that activities take place all over Europe ranging from removing
of racist graffitties in Lisbon to lectures in universities all over
Romania, including the 'Global Days' in Denmark as well as a whole week
of actions at the Nansen Dialogue Centre in Sarajevo. This is how
intercultural action works. The Action Week represents the diversity and
unity of Europe."

Additional information:
The UNITED Campaign
UNITED for Intercultural Action is a network against racism consisting
of 560 organisations all over Europe. Activities on the local level in
the framework of the campaign around 21 March are carried out by
organisations from 39 countries. The campaign is co-ordinated by the
International Secretariat of UNITED. A full list of activities is
accessible on http://www.unitedagainstracism.org
('campaigns'/'European-wide Action Week Against Racism'). Do not
hesitate to contact the UNITED office for further information. We will
be happy to supply you with contact information of an organisation near
you that is involved in the campaign.

Start your cyberday on http://www.icare.to
Internet Centre Anti-Racism Europe
UNITED for Intercultural Action
European network against nationalism, racism, fascism
and in support of migrants and refugees
PB 413, NL-1000 AK Amsterdam
phone +31-20-6834778, fax +31-20-6834582
[email protected]
http://www.unitedagainstracism.org