MINELRES: Comment on Restrictions on Language of Education in Latvia and Yelena Grishankova and Oleg Grishankov Case

Dr Fernand de Varennes [email protected]
Tue Mar 18 07:55:01 2003

MINELRES recently announced in "Minority issues in Latvia, No. 64" that the
European Court of Human Rights declared inadmissible the application of
Yelena Grishankova and Oleg Grishankov concerning the "education reform 2004".

It is clear that the case was inadmissibile as not all domestic remedies in
Latvia had been exhausted.

However, there is another point which needs some further consideration.
"Minority issues in Latvia, No. 64" also contains the following conclusion:

"We already pointed out that the application could be rejected on the
reason mentioned by the European Court of Human Rights. Moreover, we think
that the violation would not be found either by the Constitutional Court or
by the European Court even if consideration on the merits would take place
 the Belgian linguistic case of 1968 is a landmark precedent in this
respect. We still believe that the problem should be solved rather by
political means."

I think the matter needs to be looked closer. The Belgian Linguistic Case,
simply put, did not say that any type of official language policy would
always comply with Article 14 (non-discrimination) applied to the Protocol
on education of the European Convention on Human Rights. It ruled that
overall, most of the language regime on the use of French and Dutch in
Belgium was reasonable and in proportional in pursuit of a legitimate
objective, and therefore did not involve a violation of Article 14 and the
Protocol. A somewhat similar approach, by the way, was followed recently by
the UN Human Rights Committee in a matter involved public officials only
allowed to use English (the exclusive official language) in Diergaardt v
Namibia.

This means that if a State has an unreasonable or arbitrary language policy
in the area of public education, this would be a violation of the European
Convention on the basis of the reasoning in the Belgian Linguistics case,
as well as numerous other cases that set out the approach to adopt when
applying non-discrimination.

I am not passing judgment on the language policy of Latvia in the area of
public education - that is a serious and complex issue that needs to be
examined according to legal principles. But it is not correct in my view to
automatically conclude that the Belgian Linguistics Case has completely
closed the line of argument using Article 14 and the additional protocol on
education.

Regards,
-----------------------------
Dr Fernand de Varennes, LL.B. (Moncton), LL.M. (LSE), Dr.Iuris (Maastricht)
Senior Lecturer

Former Director, Asia-Pacific Centre on Human Rights and the Law

Editor-in-Chief, Asia-Pacific Journal on Human Rights and the Law

"So now, in the end, if this the least be good,
If any deed be done, if any fire
Burn in the imperfect page, the praise be thine"
Emerson

School of Law - Murdoch University
Murdoch, Western Australia 6150
AUSTRALIA