MINELRES: UNITED Summercamp: History as a cause of conflicts in Europe

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Wed Jun 4 15:25:21 2003

Original sender: UNITED <[email protected]>

UNITED E-NEWS 29/05/03: SUMMERCAMP INVITATION

Dear colleagues and friends,

please find attached (rtf format) and below the information and
nomination form for the UNITED Summercamp, "UNITED Youth for
Understanding: training course on history as a cause of conflicts in
Europe", that will take place August 23 - 30, 2003 in Krakow (Poland).

If your organisation is interested to nominate a representative, please
return the form before June 16.

Best wishes,
Geert Ates
UNITED

SUMMER CAMP INVITATION

UNITED Youth for Understanding
training course on history as a cause of conflicts in Europe
August 23 - 30, 2003 in Krakow (Poland)

The aim of the training is to promote the idea of understanding and
non-violent conflict resolution by learning and exchanging knowledge on
history interpretations as a source of conflicts and misunderstandings.
We will have a look at regional and European historical developments,
enlarge our knowledge about European history and see how it is taught in
school.

A group of 30 young people from all over Europe will work on innovative
approaches to history as a cause of conflicts. Participants will be
challenged during interactive sessions, case studies and simulations and
will develop together a practical training leaflet.

An important part of the training is to see how the media, state and
society are dealing with history. If we try to understand our history
and how it is part of our identity, we make the first step to
understanding others. This knowledge is important for all
international youth work. We will create the best conditions to fight
intolerance and discrimination when we know about circumstances and
backgrounds of its interpretation.

Main subjects of the training:

1. History interpretations as a motor for regional conflicts

2. Regional history: Krakow's history and the history of its minorities

3. The role of Media as modern writers of history

4. Case studies: present examples of how history was interpreted
leading to misunderstandings/fights.

5. Education against prejudices: encourage co-operation to revise
history and geography textbooks.

Active participation and the sharing of experience is essential to
the training. We will look at the historical and present situation in
some of our home-countries. There will be time between the training
sessions to speak about important issues which come up during the
training and to organise follow up actions. The participants will
also visit the former concentration camp Auschwitz.

The training is prepared by:
Human Rights Office Tuzla (BH)
Roma Association "Cerenja" - Stip (MK)
Center for Antiwar Action (YU)
Polish Humanitarian Organisation (PL)
Fundacja im. ks. Siemaszki (PL)
Verein Dienste im Ausland (A)
UNITED for Intercultural Action
BRIDGES OF FRIENDHIPS - Institute of Social Solidarity (GR)

UNITED, the biggest European anti-racist network of more than 550
organisations, organises regularly conferences and other meetings in
several European countries to unite and concentrate anti-racist
forces. At the UNITED Conference "The Power to Change" in June 2001
in G�teborg the working group on education conceived the idea of this
training course. The report of the G�teborg conference and of others
can be found on the UNITED website.

TECHNICAL INFO

CONTENT / WORKING METHODS
Plenaries, intercultural learning activities, role-plays, lectures
form experts, visits of historical places, films, music....
It's very important that the participants are motivated to actively
participate in the training course. The training course is divided in
four different dimensions around history.

History and conflicts: We will learn about history as an underlying
reason for regional conflicts and misunderstandings through lectures
and workshops
Media as modern writer of history: We will have a look on different
media sources and their impacts on history interpretation.
Case Studies: we will focus on a specific region and work out the
role of history. In that way, we will explore how history
interpretations stimulate conflicts.
Education against Prejudices: We will work on themes like tolerance,
discrimination, and human rights with the help of examples from
history and geography textbooks. Participants will discuss on how
they can revise, promote or prepare more objective books and come to
a European intercultural history interpretation.

PARTICIPANTS
- should be under 28 years old
- should be active in European youth organisations, anti-racist
organisation, human rights groups, minority support organisations
- should be very interested in non-formal history education, peaceful
conflict resolution and intercultural youth work
- should have some knowledge on European conflicts and ideas how to
use education to combat racism

We will try to reach a balance of female / male participants and a
good geographical distribution. Each organisation can nominate only
one delegate. Preference is given to applicants with a minority
background. Nominations from outside Europe can not be considered.

LANGUAGE
The training language is English. All participants are expected to
have sufficient understanding of the working language. But don't
worry, English is almost nobody's mother tongue. If you have
difficulties in expressing yourself, surely we can help each other.

PARTICIPATION FEE
The participation fee of the training course for people form Western
Europe (1) is 100 Euro, for people from Central Europe (2) 40 Euro
and Eastern Europe (3) 0 Euro. Your participation fee will be
deducted from the amount to be reimbursed for travel expenses. The
organisers will provide full board, lodging and the complete
programme.

1) Western Europe A/B/CH/CY/D/DK/E/F/FIN/GB/GR/I/IRL/IS/L/M/N/NL/P/S
2) Central Europe BG/BH/CZ/H/HR/MK/PL/RO/SI/SK/TR/YU
3) Eastern Europe AL/ARM/AZ/BY/EE/GE/KY/KZ/LT/LV/MD/RUS/UA/UZ

CONTRIBUTION TO TRAVEL COSTS
The maximum contribution will be 400 Euro but not more than 75 % of
your actual travel costs. People coming from a distance of less than
1000 km should use train, bus or boat. If this creates insurmountable
problems for you, please contact us before the training. Please look
for the cheapest (Sparpreis, APEX, economy class, youth fares), and
most environmentally friendly possibility. You will be expected to
attend the whole meeting and to prove your expenses with an original
invoice and tickets and the boarding pass stubs. Payment will be made
to you by bank transfer upon receipt of all the necessary documents.
The cost of visa will be reimbursed as proven with original receipts
specifying the amount paid.

DATES / PLACE
The arriving day is Saturday (23/08). The training programme will
start on Sunday (24/08) and will end on Saturday afternoon (30/08).
It will take place in the surrounding of Krakow, Poland. We have
booked a simple accommodation; you will share a room with 3-6 people.
If you wish to stay longer or arrive earlier (on your own costs)
please inform us before the training so that we can arrange
accommodation.

FURTHER INFORMATION
If your nomination is accepted (this will be known around 20/06/03),
all necessary information will be sent to you early enough before the
training, e.g. how to get there, a final programme, what to bring,
etc.
Please note that only selected participants will be contacted.

PROGRAM

Saturday 23 August
13.00   Arrival of participants - Reception and registration
20:30   Get to know each other! - Drinks and conversation

Sunday 24 August
10:00-13:00     Welcome! - Programme/team/technical points/personal
introduction
        Breaking the Ice - intercultural introductory games
15:00-18:00     History as a cause of conflicts - introduction
lecture/discussion
20:30   Info Market and intercultural snack bar

Monday 25 August
10:00-13:00     Media as modern history writer - Lecture/reports from
different countries/ debates
15:00-18:00     National heroes - Discussion: Why is your national
hero another person's villain?
20:30   Optional: Film showing

Tueday 26 August
10:00-13:00     Discovering Krakow's history - game in the city of
Krakow
        Visit to the Jewish Cultural Center
15:00-19:30     Free afternoon
19:30   Dinner in Krakow

Wednesday 27 August
10:00-13:00     Case study on Former Yugoslavia
15:00-18:00     Case study on Basque Country/Northern Ireland
20:30   Political caf� - discussion zone

Thursday 28 August
9:00-13:00      Guided tour - through the former concentration camp
Auschwitz, first part
14:00   Lunch in Auschwitz
15:00-19:30     Guided tour - through the former concentration camp
Auschwitz, second part
        Evaluation in the Auschwitz Youth Meeting Centre
19:30   Dinner in Auschwitz
20:30   Departure to Krakow

Friday 29 August
10:00-13:00     Workshop Education Against Prejudice
        Reviewing history school books and working on a European history
book
15:00-18:00     History as a tool for understanding
preparation of info-leaflet on conclusions of the training course,
planning follow-ups
20:30   Intercultural evening/farewell party

Saturday 30 August
10:30-12:00     Evaluation
13:30   Departure of participants

  REGISTRATION OF INTEREST

"UNITED Youth for Understanding" Training course on history as a
cause of conflicts in Europe
23 - 30 August 2003 in Krakow (Poland)

If you want to nominate to the training course please fill in this
form completely
(Nominations arriving before 16/06/03 will have a higher chance of
acceptance)

Name of organisation:
Organisation's address:
Phone:
Fax:
E-mail:
Webpage:
Name of delegate:
Date of birth:
Male / Female
Address to send conference documents:

Special needs (vegetarian, disabilities etc.):
Do you consider yourself to be part of a minority?    Yes / No    If
yes, which one:
Motivation and expectations for participating:

Please, shortly describe the work you are doing and the projects you
are involved in:

Do you need financial support from UNITED for your travel costs?
No / Yes
If yes, why?

How much?
(maximum: 400 Euro but not more than 75%)

Please sign up for your topic of interest in the case study programme
part:
Choose two priorities, put '1' and '2' behind the relevant topics