MINELRES: Publication: Handbook "National Minorities in Europe"

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Tue Apr 1 18:49:21 2003

Original sender: Beate Sibylle Pfeil <[email protected]>

Dear friends,

We're glad to announce you our first English language publication
National Minorities in Europe. Handbook that has come out today.
Attached you find a detailed description.

The handbook is the updated version of our German language book "Die
Volksgruppen in Europa" we published in 2000. As you might remember, we
announced the publication in the MINELRES mailing list.

Best wishes and regards,

Dr. iur. Beate Sibylle Pfeil
S�dtiroler Volksgruppen-Institut
Lauben 9
I - 39100 Bozen
Tel. +39 - 0471 - 978 703
Fax +39 - 0471 - 980 427
Mail [email protected]
www.svi-bz.org

Christoph Pan / Beate Sibylle Pfeil:

National Minorities in Europe. Handbook
Ethnos 63, Braum�ller Vienna 2003, www.braumueller.at

Contents

When this handbook was published in German in 2000 ("Die Volksgruppen in
Europa. Ein Handbuch", Braum�ller Vienna, Ethnos 56), it was greeted
with a very positive reception.  This was against the background that
although after the great changes in Europe, ethnicity and the issue of
national minorities had once again become acute, up until then their
quantitative dimensions had hardly been known, in spite of conspicuous
manifestations of ethnic regional conflicts that have broken out since
1990.  Since European policy decisions are now increasingly being made
at the international level, the updated, English language edition is
directed at a broader, European public.

In its main section, the handbook, which has been conceived as a
reference work, answers questions about the continued existence, size,
and areas of settlement of the national minorities in the individual
states of Europe.  Supplementary overviews are dedicated to the size,
linguistic classification, and national categorization of the
eighty-seven peoples of Europe, the languages of Europe, or the size
categories of the national minorities of Europe.  In addition, the
handbook deals with the requirements of modern protection of minorities
that are anchored in democracy and the rule of law, including autonomy,
as well as the development of a European system of minority protection
whose central documents are found in the appendix.  Finally, with the
right to one's homeland and the political organization of minorities,
two of the essential requirements for the efficacy of minority
protection are discussed in detail.

About the Authors

Prof. Dr. Christoph Pan has been Director of the South Tyrolean
Institute of Ethnic Groups in Bolzano, South Tyrol, Italy since 1961 and
has been a lecturer at the University of Innsbruck since 1971.  He also
taught at the University of Salzburg from 1973 to 1979.
Dr. iur. Beate Sibylle Pfeil has been Assistant Director of the South
Tyrolean Institute of Ethnic Groups in Bolzano since 1999.

"I highly welcome this publication because I am deeply convinced that
the ethnic, cultural, and linguistic diversity of Europe is one of its
outstanding assets."