MINELRES: Query: First use of term 'nation' in relation to Native American groups

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Wed Nov 20 18:32:42 2002

Original sender: Tomasz Kamusella <[email protected]>

Dear List Members,

I wonder if some of you may be help me. Namely, I am looking for a
source which would point me to the earlies use of the term 'nation' in
relation to a Native American group. From anecdotal information I know
that these groups were termed as 'nations' as early as the 2nd half of
the 18th cc., especially in relation to the `nations' of the Iroqueis
League. And the usage continues to this day in the US where one speaks
of the Native Americans as 'the First Nations'.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

T. Kamusella

Dr Tomasz Kamusella