MINELRES: List software upgraded

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Mon May 6 10:33:01 2002

Dear MINELRES list members,

We would like to inform you that recent breaks in MINELRES list
functioning were because of the transition to a new listserver
platform.

New software offers more opportunities for subscribers to handle your
subscription options - visit
http://lists.delfi.lv/mailman/listinfo/minelres for more details. To
change your subscription options, you will be required to enter your
password. Don't worry, just go to the bottom of the page mentioned
above, enter your subscription address, click "Edit Options", and then
click "Email My Password to Me".

You can also send a message to [email protected] with
the text "help" in the subject or body, and you will be emailed
instructions.

New MINELRES submission address (i.e. the email address you should use
to circulate your posting to all subscribers):
[email protected]. However, the old submission address
[email protected] will also be valid for some time.

MINELRES moderator's address remains the same -
[email protected]

Apparently, many of you have noticed recent mass (and it seems
well orchectrated) virus attacks on the list. Since the software we
used until last Friday evening was outdated, ocassionally its
protection system appeared broken, and some of you received trash
messages as if from the list. We are very sorry about this, and hope
that the completed upgrade will remove the problem.

Please, keep in mind that modern sophisticated viruses used to replace
the sender's address in order to make tracing the hacker more
difficult. So, if you receive an infected message, the
person/institution whose email address is mentioned as a sender's
address may have nothing to do with it.

Because of these mass virus attacks, we had to speed up the completion
of the upgrade, and to replace the software before the new archiver
has been set up. So, please, disregard for a while the new MINELRES
archive link mentioned at
http://lists.delfi.lv/mailman/listinfo/minelres. We will inform you as
soon as the old archive is transferred to the new one (it might take a
few days). So far, the full archive for last 5 years is
available at the old URL at http://www.riga.lv/minelres/archive.htm.

Please, feel free to ask any assistance you might need with the new
software, we will do our best to help. We will be grateful for your
reports about any suspicious messages you receive with the MIINELRES
mentioned as a sender.

Ironically, these big troubles happened exactly on the day of
MINELRES's 5th anniversary... Being the very first Internet project of
the kind, MINELRES managed to survive for five years, and we hope that
we will be able to cope with current technical and funding problems,
and to serve our subscribers further.

Yours,

Boris & Boris
MINELRES team