MINELRES: Fwd: EWERS: Ethnic Settlement Map of the Tskhinvali Region

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Thu Jun 6 18:47:01 2002

Original sender: Human Rights Center of Azerbaijan <[email protected]>

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: EWERS <[email protected]>

Dear Colleagues,

The Project og Early Warning - Early Response System (EWERS) for the
Caucasus has posted a map of the Tskhinvali region (Georgian-Osset
conflict zone) drawing the present ethnic settlement pattern there
(http://www.ewers-iccn.ge/map.html). Since the official census has not
taken place after 1989 in South Ossetia, the respective official data
does not exist. The Joint Peacekeeping Forces administration collects
such data on regular basis through the field surveys. But the
information tends to be restrictively for inner use only. Therefore,
we tried to collect relevant information from our local sources in
order to provide a present picture of the ethnic dwelling and
respectively outline predominantly Ossetian, predominantly Georgian
and the mixed settlements. We believe that our endeavor to map out
such a pattern will help to have a clearer present-day picture of the
conflict zone and be in many terms a useful reference for those who
work on South Ossetia issues.

We are far from conviction that the map is absolutely precise since
(again) no orderly updated data is available. Moreover, the EWERS
project still works on completion of a more detailed present day and
historical maps of the Georgian-Osset conflict zone in near future. We
would like also to inform you that the detailed maps of other troubled
spots in Georgia and the Caucasus as a whole (among them the map of
Pankisi Gorge, Northern Caucasus in Russian Federation, Kodori gorge,
etc.) are forthcoming at the EWERS web-site.

We hope for your consideration and look forward to your comments,
suggestions and cooperation.

With Best Wishes,

The EWERS Project team