MINELRES: EBLUL promotes linguistic diversity at the EU Convention

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Mon Jul 8 18:22:21 2002

Original sender: Margret Oberhofer <[email protected]>

PRESS RELEASE � PRESSEAUSSENDUNG (Deutsche Version anbei)

EBLUL promotes linguistic diversity at today's session of the
Convention

Brussels, 25.06.2002 � The European Bureau for Lesser Used Languages
(EBLUL) had the possibility to draw attention to languages and
minorities at today's plenary session of the European Convention -
devoted to the civil society.

Bojan Brezigar, President of EBLUL, stressed the importance of
languages as part of Europe's common heritage.  The European Union so
far has not been active enough in this domain. "As an example of the
low consideration of languages, I would like to stress that in the
non-discrimination clause - Article 13 of the Treaties � languages
were not included. This is less than what basic human rights documents
of the United Nations and the Council of Europe provide for", says
Brezigar. "We think this should be amended in accordance with article
21 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union."

Brezigar also states that leaving the linguistic issue to the Member
States only could mean that strong languages will become larger and
stronger and the weak ones will be in danger to disappear. "Union
intervention is needed to keep this diversity as our common wealth,
our common heritage. We therefore hope that there could be general
agreement about the possibility of incentive measures to maintain the
linguistic mosaic", Brezigar states.

The European Bureau for Lesser Used Languages promoted linguistic
diversity among the 105 Members and substitute members of the
Convention, as well as the representatives of civil society by means
of an information stand. Interest in brochures about several European
regional and minority languages and the booklets on the Bureau�s work
was overwhelming.

EUROPEAN BUREAU FOR
LESSER USED LANGUAGES (EBLUL)
www.eblul.org