MINELRES: New EBLUL Info Point - Dublin

MINELRES moderator [email protected]
Thu Dec 19 19:18:41 2002

Original sender: Hannah McGlue <[email protected]>

PRESS RELEASE

Pat Cox opens EBLUL Info Point in Dublin/Baile �tha Cliath

Dublin/Baile �tha Cliath 06.12.02 �  Today�s opening of the Info Point
of the European Bureau for Lesser Used Languages (EBLUL) in Dublin is a
"privilege", says Pat Cox, President of the European Parliament, in his
welcome speech. �It is not only a continuation of the work that has been
done, but it is also an important resource for information and
expertise, in particular with relation to educational matters, and most
importantly to the EU programmes that are available,� explains Cox.

Speaking alternately in Irish and English, Cox stressed the importance
of multiculturalism in Europe. "We cannot build this Europe only on
directives and by talking about institutions. The 'European Union' and
'the European Institutions' are very cold words and we do not connect
with them. Human relations are indispensable� at the very heart of them
� is respect for cultural diversity. If we cannot respect all cultural
diversity, we will never build this new Europe," continues Cox.

Bojan Brezigar, President of EBLUL, took the speech as an opportunity to
outline the strong commitment of the Irish to promoting lesser-used
languages. EBLUL�s presence in the Irish capital is not only a symbolic
decision. "We need to be present here, because we want to show on the
spot to other linguistic groups, who still face delicate problems - in
Estonia, Latvia, Slovakia, Cyprus, to mention but a few - how linguistic
diversity can, in spite of many difficulties, become a positive issue.
It is an opportunity to enjoy two languages and two cultures," says
Brezigar. "We have to work on this idea and to explain to people that
linguistic diversity should not be a problem. It is an opportunity given
to us by our common European history, common, but at the same time so
different. This is the spirit of our new Dublin office."

Peadar � Flatharta, President of the Irish Member State Committee of
EBLUL welcomed speakers and guests explaining: "In the European Union,
linguistic diversity has gradually gained more and more recognition.
This an important step for us,  to be able to celebrate the past twenty
years in working for the promotion and protection of the lesser used
languages.  At the same time we look forward to the work of the Bureau
that still has to be done."

The new Info Point is situated in the office of Comhdh�il N�isi�nta na
Gaeilge, the central steering council of the Irish language communities,
right in the heart of Dublin.

Its tasks will be to disseminate all information on lesser-used
languages, in particular information on the Celtic language community.
Furthermore it will provide expertise and assistance on European
programmes for financing projects and schemes relating to language and
education. The Info Point will also co-ordinate joint activity projects
initiated by the main office in Brussels.

------------------------------
PRESS RELEASE  -  F�GRA PREASA (IRISH VERSION BELOW)

EBLUL Info Point, Dublin, to be launched by the President of the
European Parliament

Dublin, 3.12.02 - This year, 2002, sees the celebration of 20 years of
The European Bureau for Lesser Used Languages. As part of the
anniversary celebrations we are delighted to have Pat Cox, M.E.P. and
President of the European Parliament, officially open the new EBLUL Info
Point in Dublin, based in �ras na Comhdh�la in Kildare Street, on Friday
December 6th 2002 at 10.45 am. This is opportune for us with the opening
of the Info Point, as Dublin is the city where the European Bureau began
20 years ago. This Info Point in Dublin is a regional section of the
headquarters in Brussels.

Having completed the opening ceremony the President of the European
Parliament will then give a public speech on "Celebrating 20 years of
Linguistic Diversity", where he will speak on linguistic diversity in
general and specifically on the promotion of the lesser used languages
in the European Union. He will speak in front of an audience of Irish
and European politicians, journalists, linguists, the Irish language
community and European language activists. Linguistic Diversity will be
discussed in more detail now because of the expansion of the European
Union and the accession of new member states which will increase the
languages of the European Union. This is also a fitting time to
undertake this topic as the Irish Government has declared that they will
review the status of the Irish language in the European Union.

We are very grateful to the Irish government, in particular to the
Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, who have assisted
and credited us through funding the new EBLUL Info Point in Dublin. And
as always we are extremely grateful to the European Commission and
European Union, who provide the core funding for The European Bureau for
Lesser Used Languages.

The main responsibilities of EBLUL Info Point, Dublin are, to
disseminate all information on lesser-used languages, European Union
matters, information in particular on the Celtic language community, and
also to provide expertise and assistance on European programmes for
financing projects and schemes relating to language and education. The
Info Point will also co-ordinate joint activity projects arising from
the main office.

The official launch will start at 10.30 am. in �ras na Comhdh�la, 46
Kildare Street, Dublin 2, and will continue with the public speech in
the European Parliament�s offices, European Union House, 43 Molesworth
Street, Dublin 2. A light lunch will be made available afterwards. A
special thanks to the European Parliament Representation in Ireland for
their assistance with the event.

EUROPEAN BUREAU FOR
LESSER USED LANGUAGES (EBLUL)
www.eblul.org